Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners
Default Is belief in God necessary to benefit from religion??

Seems like belief in God is diminishing in the modern world for a lot of obvious reasons.

And that seems a little unfortunate because folks seem to really like having faith. Maybe the sense of unity or purpose or peace or love or magic or Holiness. What have you.

Is there a good way to get that back, or some part of it, without technically believing in God(s)? If so how?

I have some thoughts on spirituality... And suspension of disbelief... Or maybe something more Eastern. What about you guys?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:02 PM
CAS SOA

You don't need religion to have spiritual belief.

Religious folks/organisations often say faith is important, but the reality is you don't need to pray to an imaginary being in a church to have faith in something.

It's essentially the biggest scam to ever be perpetrated on the human population in all of time, and is also the chief reason for the Dark Ages, as well as our current inability to colonise space.

In essence, religion will eventually lead to our extinction if we do not move on from such simplistic belief structures.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:11 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Purpose is what you make of it. I'd prefer to have that than to be living for some ideology crammed down my throat from birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM
SOA

Maybe there is a god. But we watched religion get slavery, war, pedophilia, science, gender issues, and so many things wrong. Could they be wrong about more? Odds are that they are still wrong about a bunch right now, and at most one has it right about the nature of God. Take Pascal's wager if you want, but don't waste time and resources on indoctrination.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:58 PM
SOA

Right now a ridiculous number of Americans fork out 10% of their income to put up fancy buildings, pay men in suits to get phds in nonsense, have indoctrination of young people, etc. We'd be way better off if 5% was saved for retirement and the other 5% actually went to the needy.

So to answer the original question, no, we don't need faith. Put that tithe money into real charity rather than funding influence machines that are failing in the free market of ideas.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underpaid View Post
Right now a ridiculous number of Americans fork out 10% of their income to put up fancy buildings, pay men in suits to get phds in nonsense, have indoctrination of young people, etc. We'd be way better off if 5% was saved for retirement and the other 5% actually went to the needy.

So to answer the original question, no, we don't need faith. Put that tithe money into real charity rather than funding influence machines that are failing in the free market of ideas.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 PM
SOA

Did you see that Facebook conversation between two Christians arguing about the holy Trinity? What about those guys arguing about the bathroom bill? How about the guy who says that sexual abuse victims shouldn't be able to get an abortion?

If you are that guy, just remember that while you are running your mouth from the comfort of your air conditioned house, nobody is watching and thinking "Boy, I should become a Christian. I want to be a part of THAT."
Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Non-Actuary

No I don't think you need to believe in God to benefit from religion.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
No I don't think you need to believe in God to benefit from religion.
Set up your own religion... profit?

Quote:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Seems like belief in God is diminishing in the modern world for a lot of obvious reasons.

And that seems a little unfortunate because folks seem to really like having faith. Maybe the sense of unity or purpose or peace or love or magic or Holiness. What have you.

Is there a good way to get that back, or some part of it, without technically believing in God(s)? If so how?

I have some thoughts on spirituality... And suspension of disbelief... Or maybe something more Eastern. What about you guys?
I think most folks have belief because they're scared in what comes after death.