Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Come on down!

Yeah, I was surprised how much difference it made to Dark Side. I see a lot of people say that the two other albums that most benefit from the 5.1 treatment are:

Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"
Beck's "Sea Change"

I'm not sure I'm enough of a Beck fan. But I may have to pick up WYWH.
Have you heard Sea Change? It's way, way different than Beck's other work, I think it's a really great album. Not in a bad way, it's a great album, just not the usual.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Have you heard Sea Change? It's way, way different than Beck's other work, I think it's a really great album. Not in a bad way, it's a great album, just not the usual.
Good to know. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
It's what I listened to most the year it came out. 2006? And it's the only Beck I own.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM
SOA

I’m looking at going 4K, which would require new receiver/processor. I’ve gone Pioneer in the past, but thinking of looking elsewhere. I’m thinking of upgrading to a full separate amp likely (D-Sonic) and leaning towards a processor. Marantz, Anthem, and Emotiva seem to be the 3 I’m most interested in. Anybody here use any of those?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 PM
SOA

I've bought Denon and Marantz (same parent company) receivers in just the past few years. They sound very similar, and have all the same main features. One thing I didn't like about the Marantz was the tiny display on the front of the unit, though some people really like that.

Denon recently came out with the X8500H. I know, that's not separates, but the reviews on it are pretty killer. Of course, it's also $4k...

A cheaper option, though still very good: buy a Denon X4400H, add on external amp for 2 channels, and you can do 11.2 sound. The X4400H is last year's model, so prices are about half what you'd pay for the extremely similar but newer X4500H. Both models have most of what you'd get out of the far more expensive X8500H mentioned above.

How sensitive are your speakers? I think a lot of people get hung up on high watt receivers when they don't really need to. My speakers have 92 dB sensitivity, so it really doesn't take much power to drive them to uncomfortably loud levels.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 PM
SOA

Over time, I was becomingly increasingly aware of the limitations of the TF600's. Made the sound a little less crisp. So I went back to JBL 590 towers all around (5.1). I do think the TF600's will be adequate for when I want rear surround, which isn't often.

I have also been playing around more with the Audyssey room correction app. I'm now only applying room correction up to 1kHz. That's certainly higher than the "Schroeder" frequency (typically between 200 Hz and 500 Hz, depending on the dimensions of the room, and the highest frequency for which you might have to correct for room "modes.") That works really well for 4 of the speakers, but not so great for my center speaker. Of course, my center is behind my very solid 55" TV, so I think it needs some correction of the higher frequencies to offset any muffling from the TV being in the way. Luckily, the app lets me do the full range correction for just that one speaker, and all others only up to 1kHz. Sounds really nice!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
Iím looking at going 4K, which would require new receiver/processor. Iíve gone Pioneer in the past, but thinking of looking elsewhere. Iím thinking of upgrading to a full separate amp likely (D-Sonic) and leaning towards a processor. Marantz, Anthem, and Emotiva seem to be the 3 Iím most interested in. Anybody here use any of those?
I have a friend who swears by Anthem, and they have a solid reputation. Emotiva is a brand Iím sort of familiar with, they strike me as offering a real bargain from what Iíve seen and heard. The other brand Iíd take a look at is Onkyo, maybe the Integra line. I know a dealer selling a DRC-R1 demo at a nice price if itís of interest, mint condition, full warranty.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Over time, I was becomingly increasingly aware of the limitations of the TF600's. Made the sound a little less crisp. So I went back to JBL 590 towers all around (5.1). I do think the TF600's will be adequate for when I want rear surround, which isn't often.

I have also been playing around more with the Audyssey room correction app. I'm now only applying room correction up to 1kHz. That's certainly higher than the "Schroeder" frequency (typically between 200 Hz and 500 Hz, depending on the dimensions of the room, and the highest frequency for which you might have to correct for room "modes.") That works really well for 4 of the speakers, but not so great for my center speaker. Of course, my center is behind my very solid 55" TV, so I think it needs some correction of the higher frequencies to offset any muffling from the TV being in the way. Luckily, the app lets me do the full range correction for just that one speaker, and all others only up to 1kHz. Sounds really nice!
Thatís really cool. Iíve always felt like trying to correct at higher freqs was an exercise in futility. The wavelengths get really short, so if the mic is an inch off from where your ears are it all gets messed up.

Iím starting to get the itch to buy something again, but I donít have any good reason. I have thought about selling my Aurasound sub but it could be tough to find a buyer.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
I've bought Denon and Marantz (same parent company) receivers in just the past few years. They sound very similar, and have all the same main features. One thing I didn't like about the Marantz was the tiny display on the front of the unit, though some people really like that.

Denon recently came out with the X8500H. I know, that's not separates, but the reviews on it are pretty killer. Of course, it's also $4k...

A cheaper option, though still very good: buy a Denon X4400H, add on external amp for 2 channels, and you can do 11.2 sound. The X4400H is last year's model, so prices are about half what you'd pay for the extremely similar but newer X4500H. Both models have most of what you'd get out of the far more expensive X8500H mentioned above.

How sensitive are your speakers? I think a lot of people get hung up on high watt receivers when they don't really need to. My speakers have 92 dB sensitivity, so it really doesn't take much power to drive them to uncomfortably loud levels.
D&M always seem to be near the top for reviews.

As of right now, Iím running JTR speakers (101db for LR and 98 for the rest). I run an emotiva XPA-2 for LR but would like to move up in power there for increased bass for music. Thatís why Iím leaning towards a D-Sonic for an amp and as soon as I go with a new amp at all I will probably go full 5 channel rather than 2.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
D&M always seem to be near the top for reviews.

As of right now, Iím running JTR speakers (101db for LR and 98 for the rest). I run an emotiva XPA-2 for LR but would like to move up in power there for increased bass for music. Thatís why Iím leaning towards a D-Sonic for an amp and as soon as I go with a new amp at all I will probably go full 5 channel rather than 2.
You're looking at 400w/channel or more for ~100dB efficient speakers? WG likes it loud! You still digging your Seaton sub?

I've been sort of contemplating moving up, I've got a 100w/channel receiver powering my Gedlee, which are about 95dB @ 1w/1m. They do fine unless you really throttle it, and then I suspect it's the amp giving out, I doubt my B&C drivers are struggling with 100w from 80Hz and up. But, it's rare that I listen that loud, and upgrading won't be cheap.