Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
Yea my boss thinks it's a terrible idea but I feel like I have no choice .Plus, I'm not waiting for Feb 2018 to be the first time I take C, in the very likely case that I fail so I must try for October.
2 years ago I did a back-to-back P/FM (20 days apart) using that strategy, and feel it was intense but doable.

C is still all about practicing questions. The Loss Models textbook is completely rubbish (for exam prep, probably good for other purposes). I've probably gotten to understand 0.5% of the textbook material, and still passed it with flying colors.

All that's to say - don't feel bad if you are going through C material for the first time, and feel like you learned nothing when you have to switch back to MFE in May.

Last edited by kadsura; 03-24-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
2 years ago I did a back-to-back P/FM (20 days apart) using that strategy, and feel it was intense but doable.

C is still all about practicing questions. The Loss Models textbook is completely rubbish (for exam prep, probably good for other purposes). I've probably gotten to understand 0.5% of the textbook material, and still passed it with flying colors.

All that's to say - don't feel bad if you are going through C material for the first time, and feel like you learned nothing when you have to switch back to MFE in May.
Yea I'm afraid that's going to psyche me out, if I feel like I retained nothing in the time I spent trying to study C initially. Don't want to feel like I wasted time.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
I'm not waiting for Feb 2018 to be the first time I take C, in the very likely case that I fail so I must try for October.
IMO this is totally illogical. You have 4 extra months for the February sitting.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:06 PM
SOA

BTW I also did not want to take C next February (edit: for the first time), which is why I attempted this exam a week ago and bombed. Total mistake. Did not give myself enough time for this exam, but I think July should be good. IMO having more time is way more important than whether it's your first sitting or not. Also don't you get first pass bonuses?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
BTW I also did not want to take C next February (edit: for the first time), which is why I attempted this exam a week ago and bombed. Total mistake. Did not give myself enough time for this exam, but I think July should be good. IMO having more time is way more important than whether it's your first sitting or not. Also don't you get first pass bonuses?
Didn't know that first pass bonuses were a thing. My company only does set amounts for exams passes. After the first attempt, the company will only pay for 50% of the material/exam cost for the next attempt. It gets lower after that. I think it is 0% for the fourth attempt.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
IMO this is totally illogical. You have 4 extra months for the February sitting.
It probably is but I'm terrified of failing in Feb cause you know what that means come transition time.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 PM
SOA

College: school of hard knocks
Default ch ch changes

I think that the changes are irrational.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:21 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Studying for MFE
College: University of Minnesota
Favorite beer: I am not a beer drinker.

Do people sometimes pass even if the screen tells them that they didn't do well enough to pass? I am new to this computer testing thing.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 AM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirited55447 View Post
Do people sometimes pass even if the screen tells them that they didn't do well enough to pass? I am new to this computer testing thing.
The preliminary results are extremely accurate. It has happened, but it is very rare. It never hurts to hope.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:54 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Does anyone have a good way to remember which alternative binomial tree goes with which set of names?

I.e.:
u=e^(σ√h) and d=e^(-σ√h) for Cox-Ross-Rubinstein, and
u=e^[(r-δ-0.5σ^2 )h+σ√h] and u=e^[(r-δ-0.5σ^2 )h-σ√h] for Lognormal-aka-Jarrow-Rudd.

I'm always guessing when a problem randomly throws out "oh yeah, the tree was made using Jarrow-Rudd."

Tags
guinea pigs