Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
SOA

I can save 100% by not buying the items in the first place.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressap maxe
Being fat isn't genetic, it's a learned behavior. The proof lies in every country outside the U.S.
Populationwise, it isn't genetic. But there are a few individuals who do have a strong genetic disposition for being fat, and remain fat despite regular exercise and low levels of eating. Still, they are the 1% exceptions.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 03-31-2006, 04:47 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Life after exams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac
I'm personally fond of ads that say that I can "save up to 20% or more!" at their sales. Why, yes, I suppose that is true. Not impressive, but true.
Doesn't that mean you can save any amount? "Up to 20% or more!" Ridiculous. It really gets on my nerves when they say that. A similar one is "Save an average of 50% or more." What does that even mean?

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/4wd...383611511.html
via gregmankiw.blogspot.com

Quote:
Lesley Walker, a research associate with Imperial College London's primary care and social medicine department [...] along with Australian researchers from the University of Queensland[...] observed the drivers of 38,182 cars and 2944 four-wheel-drives at three varied sites in London.

They found the 4WD drivers were almost four times more likely than car drivers to be using a mobile phone[...]

Previous studies from the US, Britain and Australia have shown that using a mobile phone while driving is associated with a fourfold increase in the risk of having an accident.

That means drivers of four-wheel-drives are 16 times more likely to have an accident than other drivers because they are four times more likely to use a mobile while driving, she said.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:42 AM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
According to University of Missouri-Columbia biomedical researchers Frank Booth and Simon Lees, every U.S. child and adult will be obese by 2044 and 2058, respectively, if the current progressive rise continues.
My prediction: the % of overweight and obese people will not be much different from today.

Reason: people will be in such bad shape that they will change the definition of overweight and obese so that normal-weight people can exist.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing, I'm FCAS!
Favorite beer: Dogfishhead 90minute IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Gotta love the sex panther
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Dr. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
http://munews.missouri.edu/NewsBurea...fm?newsid=5022
Quote:
every U.S. child and adult will be obese by 2044 and 2058, respectively, if the current progressive rise continues
All of you young parents can use this smae "ignore the asymptote" technique to impress your family with your child's NFL potential.

I remember taking my son's birth height and weight and comparing to the same two measurements after his one month check up. I told people that if he continued to grow at the same rate (compounded) he would be 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs by the time he was one. I fugured by the time he finished grade school, he could start for any NFL team and be unstoppable.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing, I'm FCAS!
Favorite beer: Dogfishhead 90minute IPA
Default I'm not sure if this counts... but still

Albino squirrel

Quote:
This was definitely news since only 10 in every one million squirrels are born with albinism, a condition caused by a melanin deficiency.
They could have just said 1 in ever 100,000. But making it 10:1,000,000 probably seems better
Old 07-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Class Clown
SOA

Studying for the eye exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcharak58
Albino squirrel

They could have just said 1 in ever 100,000. But making it 10:1,000,000 probably seems better
They wanted to convey the fact that they have been climbing trees and putting their eyes up to the entrances of tree cavities to actually witness the births of 1 million squirrels, and observed that only ten were born with albinism. They didn't want to mislead people into thinking that they put forth only 1/10 the effort in their data collection.