Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post

Because it's hilarious to have a "completionist problem," but have no problem looking up how to do shit on FAQs.

I especially have a problem with it when "gamer score" or "trophy level" can be based on something that is so cheat-able. It taints those statistics and makes them virtually useless.

Way better than yours...so what does that make you?

If you actually read posts on here, I said using a FAQ if your absolutely stuck is one thing. But many people use FAQs to find step-by-step instructions on how to get certain collectables, or beat certain bosses, or get through certain dungeons. Those all sound like step-by-step instructions to me.
other than the flags in AC, I don't recall using a guide for anything

some games (take AC2 as an example) have general achievements like "kill 10 people while remaining in battle without being hit"

I looked online for what areas people recommended. is THAT ok with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
other than the flags in AC, I don't recall using a guide for anything
Maybe not this game, but you've mentioned using them before. Though in the past you've mentioned trying to organize "online cheat sessions" with other players to get some online achievements that you weren't good enough to get through regular online gameplay

Quote:
some games (take AC2 as an example) have general achievements like "kill 10 people while remaining in battle without being hit"

I looked online for what areas people recommended. is THAT ok with you?
Again, finding out what is the best place to take care of said achievement is having someone doing most of the work for you.

People can use FAQs as they see fit. Just don't get annoyed if when you get called out for cheating.

And besides, I never said I don't use FAQs. I never would have gotten the KoTR Materia in FFVII without it one! On the other hand, I would never go bragging about getting a 1000/1000 or platinum trophy if I used FAQs to get there either.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Maybe not this game, but you've mentioned using them before. Though in the past you've mentioned trying to organize "online cheat sessions" with other players to get some online achievements that you weren't good enough to get through regular online gameplay

Again, finding out what is the best place to take care of said achievement is having someone doing most of the work for you.

People can use FAQs as they see fit. Just don't get annoyed if when you get called out for cheating.

And besides, I never said I don't use FAQs. I never would have gotten the KoTR Materia in FFVII without it one! On the other hand, I would never go bragging about getting a 1000/1000 or platinum trophy if I used FAQs to get there either.
so you think "finding the best spot" to kill 10
guys in one battle without taking any damage is the hard part?

think again ... executing that achievement is a lot harder than killing 20 or 25 guys in one battle like in AC. AC2 enemies carry heavier weapons that you can't counter. you have to only block them. and they almost all wear heavy armor meaning you have to hit each at least 5+ times

as to organizing online games for achievements it depends, but as far as what unsaid above i said I haven't used other guides as best I can recall

I think what you're remembering was me trying to get the halo 3 metagame achievements by having someone else stay back and let me get all the kills. while imposter that, you can head over to bungie.net and look up my metagame history...I did them all on my own

other things like overdrive overdose in rock band 2 is simple, but requires 4 people (all going into overdrive at the same time). am I cheating if I find people online for that and we agree to go for that during a song? considering I don't have anyone localto play the game with, is that cheating?

Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
other things like overdrive overdose in rock band 2 is simple, but requires 4 people (all going into overdrive at the same time). am I cheating if I find people online for that and we agree to go for that during a song? considering I don't have anyone localto play the game with, is that cheating?
I feel like the social aspect of a game like RB makes it different. I've gone to the RB forums looking for people just to play online with in general. Although I got all those trophies through casual 4-player games (i.e. not trying to get the achievement).
Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Absurd collectables are the only place I'm willing to make an exception for cheaters, especially when the game doesn't provide an in-game map location of said items.
I believe every game should give you a map once you finish the campaign and are screw around/mop up time.
Quote:
I haven't played AC2 yet, but to me it sounds like you needed to watch videos of people getting through assassin tombs in order to complete them.

If it's something you need to complete to continue progressing through the game and you are struggling, I can't fault anyone for cheating in this case. I play many games for just the story (and could give a shit about gameplay), and if I were completely and hopelessly stuck, I'd probably look up more information just to get through so I can finish the story and get it over with.
You don't need to. I didn't realize this was an area that people were struggling with, and it's not main story.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCORRELATED LAY View Post
You seem to be obsessed with cheating. IMO getting help from a guide (either online or off) is not cheating.

And, why do people care so much about Wannabe? The guy like to complete games, who cares. It is not like he is hindering your ability to play the game. Those people who exploit a fault in a game just to win multiplayer matches are much more annoying.
He bought the game, he can play the campaign how he wants. It's different when exploiting glitches to win online though.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
He bought the game, he can play the campaign how he wants. It's different when exploiting glitches to win online though.
I don't care how someone plays either. Just don't go through the delusion that you are achieving something when you are in fact cheating.

Kinda surprised that you don't care since you seem to be the only one on here that thinks the Gamer Score actually means anything
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
think again ... executing that achievement is a lot harder than killing 20 or 25 guys in one battle like in AC. AC2 enemies carry heavier weapons that you can't counter. you have to only block them. and they almost all wear heavy armor meaning you have to hit each at least 5+ times
Really? I thought that one was pretty easy. I got it when I was saving that guy in front of the church in one of the early parts of the game (3 or 4 or something).
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
I don't care how someone plays either. Just don't go through the delusion that you are achieving something when you are in fact cheating.

Kinda surprised that you don't care since you seem to be the only one on here that thinks the Gamer Score actually means anything
anyone who thinks gamerscore means anything is delusional
when a difficult skill game like rock band is worth the same 1000 gamerscore as avatar the last airbender (1000 gamerscore in under 3 minutes...in the first level of the game), you realize gamerscore means nothing

I like a high completion percentage, as I've said before

Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

So, maybe I'm slow but has anyone else realized the braile on the wii remote above the lights that show which player the remote is for? If your blind you are not playing the wii or able to tell which light is on.....

carry on.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one