Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
I saw that mix up...unfortunately I don't bring my 360 with me to campus (to help me study) so I only play when I go back every other weekend.
use the online link, add it to the download queue and just call home to have someone turn on the system for you...assuming it's still hooked up where you left it the download will happen automatically for you when you turn the system on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
bladder of steel...I'm going for that this weekend

why is THIS only for achievement whores while the MM10 achievements are for true gamers?
what's the difference? it takes skill and dedication to get this achievement
Are you serious?!

Cuz it's the ultimate in skill-less trophies! There's no skill in having 7 straight hours to waste on hitting an achievement/trophy in a video game. I can't remember the last time I've even had the time to play video games 7 straight hours in general, let alone want to! Especially being that you can put the game on Easy or Medium, there is little skill involved at all here...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Are you serious?!

Cuz it's the ultimate in skill-less trophies! There's no skill in having 7 straight hours to waste on hitting an achievement/trophy in a video game. I can't remember the last time I've even had the time to play video games 7 straight hours in general, let alone want to! Especially being that you can put the game on Easy or Medium, there is little skill involved at all here...
if you do it on easy I agree with you (plus it depends on what instrument you're 'playing')...but there are other achievements to go through the setlist for:
medium = vinyl artist
hard = gold artist
expert = platinum artist

the setlist is 84 songs...I really don't want to go through it twice...so that brings the 'without failing' into the equation. I know I can't do expert, but I'm going to try to perfect hard before I make the run through it

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
CCA AAA COPA

Favorite beer: Mine

Quote:
not sure, maybe

I downloaded the weapons/armor for free just in case...I posted the link first thing this morning
The deal is dead. It was dead early yesterday morning. MS must have realized their mistake and didn't allow any more downloads

Any way, their is speculation that it won't work on your xbox even if you have already downloaded it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCORRELATED LAY View Post
The deal is dead. It was dead early yesterday morning. MS must have realized their mistake and didn't allow any more downloads

Any way, their is speculation that it won't work on your xbox even if you have already downloaded it.
maybe...I might never find out...

all I can say is that mine downloaded fine yesterday morning...and as of late last night the link was still showing 'free' for the price.

something VERY similar happened with gears of war 2 and the 'golden lancer'...(all it was was a gold colored version of the standard weapon). with the limited edition version of the game they gave you a code to download it...but one day they made a mistake and made it free online just like this. someone told me, I downloaded it and it worked. they kept saying that in one of the updates for the game they would make the gun go away for those that got it that way...but mine never did...

I have a feeling this will work

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
if you do it on easy I agree with you (plus it depends on what instrument you're 'playing')...but there are other achievements to go through the setlist for:
medium = vinyl artist
hard = gold artist
expert = platinum artist

the setlist is 84 songs...I really don't want to go through it twice...so that brings the 'without failing' into the equation. I know I can't do expert, but I'm going to try to perfect hard before I make the run through it
I could never do it. My hands would go numb around song 5.

On achievements: when I play a game, I want to be entertained, but I also want to feel like I'm making some sort of progress. For instance, if I play a really fun round of Final Fantasy for an hour, but then I die without saving, it's gonna ruin my experience. I know in the grand scheme of things that completing a video game has no significant accomplishment attached to it, but yet I feel if I get no where in the game, I've REALLY wasted my time.

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by punmanbowler View Post
On achievements: when I play a game, I want to be entertained, but I also want to feel like I'm making some sort of progress. For instance, if I play a really fun round of Final Fantasy for an hour, but then I die without saving, it's gonna ruin my experience. I know in the grand scheme of things that completing a video game has no significant accomplishment attached to it, but yet I feel if I get no where in the game, I've REALLY wasted my time.
I agree with you. Especially since I tend to play mostly story driven games, if I don't get to see more of the story, I get annoyed. Games aren't really difficult anymore nowadays, so I rarely have this problem.

Though I have been enjoying more "gamey" games lately, NSMBW and R&C. They don't make many games like either of these anymore. Everyone seems to think graphics and realism are more important to gameplay, and that stinks.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Everyone seems to think graphics and realism are more important to gameplay, and that stinks.

I also wish games were more difficult. I want to feel like I accomplished something when I beat a game, rather than just put my 10-12 hours in to get to the end.
Before the devil
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post

I also wish games were more difficult. I want to feel like I accomplished something when I beat a game, rather than just put my 10-12 hours in to get to the end.
While I kind of agree, I wish all games just had difficulty toggle in options menu. There are some games that I'd much rather be able to casually enjoy for the story (that's how I plan on approaching AC2), but for games like R&C, I want that to be as hard as possible. There's a story in there, but who cares. I just want to blow shit up...and wouldn't mind a challenge while I'm at it
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Are you serious?!

One night my freshman year of college I played counter strike for 8 hours straight on a bet. Needless to say I didn't make it to class the next morning.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one