Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Back on topic, I've been considering Mint lately. I have always shied away from it because I wasn't comfortable keeping log in info for so many accounts in the same place. But if they haven't been hacked yet...

Really, it would be nice to keep everything in once place and accessible at a glance, and if I'm not going to be good about keeping an offline accounting system updated then maybe its time to use an online system...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosewater View Post
yes. love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
yes. i have been using it for a few years now. have found it very convenient
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
Back on topic, I've been considering Mint lately. I have always shied away from it because I wasn't comfortable keeping log in info for so many accounts in the same place. But if they haven't been hacked yet...

Really, it would be nice to keep everything in once place and accessible at a glance, and if I'm not going to be good about keeping an offline accounting system updated then maybe its time to use an online system...
They keep a different set of logins for some accounts, for my trading account its a password to get info but not trade/deposit/withdraw things, I think it's called a partner password or some
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivious View Post
They keep a different set of logins for some accounts, for my trading account its a password to get info but not trade/deposit/withdraw things, I think it's called a partner password or some
Yeah, if everyone did that I'd be ready to jump right in. But they don't yet, so I'm still hesitant.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
this is my primary concern with Mint.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM

What do these products or services do for you that one cannot do himself/herself with a couple of excel spreadsheets and basic actuarial programming skills?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Note Contributor
SOA AAA

Studying for a way to escape
College: Illinois College ('87)
Favorite beer: Stag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
What do these products or services do for you that one cannot do himself/herself with a couple of excel spreadsheets and basic actuarial programming skills?
Quicken has a one click option (or it did back when I used it) where it will pull down your banking data and auto-reconcile for you. If you are truely lazy, it will enter all your transactions for you as well based on what it downloaded (which kind of removes the checks and balances)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
Mint is free and the programming work has already been done for you. The big attraction, and the risk of something like Mint, is that it aggregates all your accounts and their information into one view.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
SOA

If you trust turbotax (milllions do) then you can trust mint. I know it might feel wrong, but the convenience of mint and the interface (iPad app is great as well) convinced me. Been using it for a few years and have convinced many families and friends to do the same.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellDone View Post
If you trust turbotax (milllions do) then you can trust mint. I know it might feel wrong, but the convenience of mint and the interface (iPad app is great as well) convinced me. Been using it for a few years and have convinced many families and friends to do the same.
What is the basis for this comparison? With Turbotax you enter in financial information by hand, or download it once into their system. With Mint you leave your login information for various financial accounts on file so that they can periodically log in and update their dashboard for you.