Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Mint is free and the programming work has already been done for you. The big attraction, and the risk of something like Mint, is that it aggregates all your accounts and their information into one view.

Sorry, but I'm an actuary.

Quote:
Mint is free and the fun of the programming work has already been done for been taken away from you. The big attraction, and the risk of something like Mint, is that it aggregates all your accounts and their information into one view.

Excel.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver View Post
What is the basis for this comparison? With Turbotax you enter in financial information by hand, or download it once into their system. With Mint you leave your login information for various financial accounts on file so that they can periodically log in and update their dashboard for you.
because they're both owned by intuit. that's why.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
What do these products or services do for you that one cannot do himself/herself with a couple of excel spreadsheets and basic actuarial programming skills?
Automatically load your transaction data from all of your accounts. Doing that manually for my primary checking, checking used for my mortgage, savings, joint savings, 401k, old 401k, credit card, and student loans would be a huge pain in the ass
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

We use Mint. I keep it as secure as possible with a nice long password and plus it is read only on all the info it imports, so if anyone hacked Mint, they could view my stuff but not transfer money or anything.

I actually preferred yodlee a bit more, but it didn't interface with all the accounts I needed at the time and now going back and bringing it up to date is a bit of a hassle. It had much better analytics and tools for analysis than Mint.

Still holding out hope for Mint import someday.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

I keep all my financial information on post-its and napkins and the back of envelopes.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Quote:
What do these products or services do for you that one cannot do himself/herself with a couple of excel spreadsheets and basic actuarial programming skills?
A bunch of busy work?

I use mint too. Like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm an actuary.

Excel.
:ctm:
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
We use Mint. I keep it as secure as possible with a nice long password and plus it is read only on all the info it imports, so if anyone hacked Mint, they could view my stuff but not transfer money or anything.
how is it read only? if someone gains access as you, how does anything know to be read only? clearly i'm missing the point. bust out the for me

Quote:
I actually preferred yodlee a bit more, but it didn't interface with all the accounts I needed at the time and now going back and bringing it up to date is a bit of a hassle. It had much better analytics and tools for analysis than Mint.

Still holding out hope for Mint import someday.
hmmmm, will need to look at yodlee too, but i'm primarily interested in record keeping and not analytics so much.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

Quote:
how is it read only? if someone gains access as you, how does anything know to be read only? clearly i'm missing the point. bust out the for me
I think he means there is a separate login for his financial sites that is read only, so if someone hacks Mint's servers or steals his password and logs in as him, all they have access to is a read-only login to his accounts.

I need to find out if my banks/etc provide that
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

I tried Mint a couple years ago. It had trouble communicating with my various accounts. Maybe I'll give them another shot and see if things are better now.

How does YNAB compare? Same general functionality? I think I saw that name pop up somewhere else very recently, and 2 hits is enough to trigger mild interest.