Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 PM
CAS

Default Long run aspiration to become a Chief Actuary

Hi guys, I was thinking about where I wanted to end up in the long run and from where I am it seems that the main criteria to become a chief actuary you have to be very strong at navigating internal politics. Do you guys have any insight?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM
SOA

At how large a company?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM
SOA AAA

No, I do not. Nothing more than you already know. And that is one of the major (or impossible) hurdles of most actuarial types.

<thinking>

Well, let's think a little more than "first thing that comes to mind" and think back on the good Chief Actuaries I have known:
1. They can explain "complicated" math/business concepts to people of limited math/business abilities.
2. They do not simply try to bowl others over with facts and strong opinions and expect others (usually with strong egos of their own) to simply believe them.
3. They can discern actuarial/leadership talents in others to make a solid group of managers below them, and do some mentoring of those that can replace him should he find a better opportunity.
4. They know how to get along with persons of various personalities.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
At how large a company?
I am more of a fan of small-medium sized companies. Large companies seem nearly impossible to become a chief actuary to me.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

Be well-rounded and knowledgeable of pricing, reserving, and corporate work imo.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarydestiny View Post
I am more of a fan of small-medium sized companies. Large companies seem nearly impossible to become a chief actuary to me.
Work at a cut-throat large company, move up to middle management through politicing, work with a recruiter to find a small / medium shop that needs their own chief.

Moving up organically within a small shop has more risk / variability based on what's going on with other people. In a larger shop, particularly one with growing need for actuaries, there will be opportunities.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 PM
SOA

Actually, let me change my answer slightly, try to work in consulting at some point, treating internal management like their a client is a very valuable skill that's hard to learn otherwise.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 AM
SOA

You should aim higher than chief actuary. That way, if you miss, you might still end up being chief actuary.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:57 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Actually, let me change my answer slightly, try to work in consulting at some point, treating internal management like their a client is a very valuable skill that's hard to learn otherwise.
you know what else is a very valuable skill? knowing the difference between their and they're
Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
you know what else is a very valuable skill? knowing the difference between their and they're
Yup you've figured it out, congratulations on being promoted to chief actuary!