Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM
CAS

Studying for C/4
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
Were there any questions that just seemed ridiculous? For example, SOA #154 is solved by THREE triple integrals! (Reminds me of Olympic ice skating.) Mahler has similar questions that are just WTF I don't have time for this.
I think on any SOA exam you'll see a few curve balls. I've never had to do any intense integration on any preliminary exam, I agree SOA #154 is very computationally intense; probably the most computationally intense on credibility in the 307.

154 and 184 I would say are the most computationally tough Bayesian Credibility problems. Mahler took 154 and tweaked the density to make the problem a bit tougher in a recent sample exam I took.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
SOA

Hey guys so by tomorrow I will have finished all Mahlee exams. I’m sitting at an EL 4 on adapt right now cause I have only been taking quizzes. I have gone through the SOA 307 many times and feel pretty comfortable with it. I just randomly generated a EL 7.0 from adapt and got murdered. This is weird for me as people always say Mahler is the hardest you can get. Do you guys think I should do Adapt level 7 or go back to review Mahler?
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
CAS

Studying for C/4
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Personally, I do not think anything over a level 6 from ADAPT for C is effective. I find they get computationally much more intense, but not conceptually more difficult. I've been doing quizzes on weak spots, but only level 4-6 problems, and mostly from SOA 307.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarycat View Post
Hey guys so by tomorrow I will have finished all Mahlee exams. Iím sitting at an EL 4 on adapt right now cause I have only been taking quizzes. I have gone through the SOA 307 many times and feel pretty comfortable with it. I just randomly generated a EL 7.0 from adapt and got murdered. This is weird for me as people always say Mahler is the hardest you can get. Do you guys think I should do Adapt level 7 or go back to review Mahler?
My opinion would be to allow Adapt to "adapt" to where you're at. I think the best approach for this exam is to try every resource and I think you've exhausted SOA and Mahler. Adapt does have a different flavor of questions so I would carefully go through the solutions and see what's missing.
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
SOA

It seems Adapt questions are so time consuming. I noticed that all 6+ level questions or sometimes under this require alot of calculations, quadratic equations and complicated alegbra to find out values and it takes alot of time and chances are huge that you make mistake.

Also, I observe mostly questions have answer options in ranges and sometimes correct answer lies too beyond the limit which makes doubt that answer I got is wrong and it consumes more time in calculation.

Genrally, have students observe time issues in this Exam? I did my all before Exam before time, it seems not ending up doing this on time.

Is there any way I can speed up my calculations? I am getting 28+ right, have an EL of 7.3 after 5 exams (2 Exams 6+ EL, 2 Custom 5EL EXAMS and 1 initial low EL EXAM).

I do use data tables for tests like Chi Square, Kologorvm and othet group data questions where I need to find moments. On other calculations, I am using BA II PLus.

Any suggestions what should I do?
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
SOA

I just did Malher PE 15 and 16 and god it was hard (23/35, 22/35). Exam is in two days so from now on I'm going to focus on memorizing formulas and to relax. Good luck to everyone we can do this!
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2actuary View Post
It seems Adapt questions are so time consuming. I noticed that all 6+ level questions or sometimes under this require alot of calculations, quadratic equations and complicated alegbra to find out values and it takes alot of time and chances are huge that you make mistake.

Also, I observe mostly questions have answer options in ranges and sometimes correct answer lies too beyond the limit which makes doubt that answer I got is wrong and it consumes more time in calculation.

Genrally, have students observe time issues in this Exam? I did my all before Exam before time, it seems not ending up doing this on time.

Is there any way I can speed up my calculations? I am getting 28+ right, have an EL of 7.3 after 5 exams (2 Exams 6+ EL, 2 Custom 5EL EXAMS and 1 initial low EL EXAM).

I do use data tables for tests like Chi Square, Kologorvm and othet group data questions where I need to find moments. On other calculations, I am using BA II PLus.

Any suggestions what should I do?
IMO, that's a major issue with Adapt C once you get to 6+. The exams feel more like algebra tests than anything else.

Got an 8 EL before I passed, but I really attribute how I did on the exam on a decent theoretical understanding of the topics rather than being an algebra wizard. There were some problems that made you think outside the box that Adapt didn't cover, but I learned pretty well from the TIA exams.

Had an hour left to spare on the real thing FYI. Barely passed Adapt 6-8 exams on time.

Modules
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

IIRC, I had a 6-7 EL and received a 9 on Exam C last summer. The exam felt like an EL 3-4. I do not recall any extremely cumbersome problems on the real exam. Upper-level ADAPT has some doozies that I recall taking like 25 minutes to complete.

There were a bunch of conceptual questions that you can knock out in seconds if you really understand the material. I recommend rigorously drilling yourself on those types of questions.

Edit: Wow--I nearly repeated other posters.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
CAS

Studying for C

Best of luck to everyone this week!