Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:59 PM
SOA

I played 18 on Friday with some friends in a sweltering hot and humid, high 90s afternoon. Ended up with a "96", but everyone was a bit more lax on the scoring stringency near the end of the round as the sun and heat really took their toll on everyone. My body never does well in high heat, not to mention the fact I've been inside so much over these last few months, that it really did a number on me and I ended up with a headache all through the 4th of July the next day.

The course is pretty easy (67.9/124 par 70), but pretty narrow for a casual player and in such a way that you will lose your ball frequently if not keeping it together. My ball striking was supremely good for about 2/3 of the round before falling off the last 4 holes (and the first hole when I rushed out to the tee box since I was late). Mathed out that I hit a 260 yard drive on a flat and boring par 4 - tee box says 343 par 4 and I was 80-85 out. I mean... that is insane for someone like me. Was driving the ball very, very most of the day. Unfortunately my short game wasn't keeping up with my driver and irons and I lost a bunch of strokes chipping and putting. Guess that shouldn't be surprising since I haven't practiced them much at all, but still frustrating none the less. Still had a great round and had serious sub90 potential during the back 9 when I was tearing the course up, but couldn't finish out in that way. Had a stretch of 6 holes from holes 9 through 14 where I was 2 over with 4 pars and 2 bogeys.

1 birdie (110 yard par 3 that I put to within a couple feet)
5 pars (3 par 3s and 2 par 4s)
4 bogeys
3 double bogeys
3 triple bogeys
2 quad bogey (both double par on a par 4, hole 1 when rushing out after getting there late and hole 8 when I had a short game massacre after being behind and off the green in 3)

Using my high tech ranking system:
Driver/Woods:
Hybrid/Long Irons (4-6):
Mid irons (7-9):
Wedges:
Chipping:
Putting:

Last edited by dancran1220; 07-06-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Old 07-06-2020, 04:48 PM

Solid. For me, I feel like short game is something that can be easily fixed with some practice, if you are naturally athletic and have good hand-eye coordination. Driver and irons is a much more challenging fix. Maybe that's all just me.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:00 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Video critiqued by whom? Like a friend or a golf coach?
I put it on a Facebook group for golfers. I have analyzed my videos also and some of my visible swing faults are:

1) Disconnected takeaway (seems like an easy enough fix to me, just gotta take the club back and up without rotating my forearms)
2) Locked right knee in the transition/downswing (usually good players get into a squat position)
3) At impact, I'm mostly using my arms and not taking advantage of lower/upper body (I watched a Danny Maude video on YouTube where he explained that when we throw a ball, we use our whole body, and to use the same principle for the downswing).
Old 07-08-2020, 03:30 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

I'm wondering something about golf technology...

There is a certain stigma about "game improvement" golf clubs. Am I wrong in thinking that today's clubs would have been considered "game improvement" ones 20-30 years ago? And if so, aren't today's game improvement clubs the regular clubs 20 years from now?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM
It's a funny name.

everybody is using this in 20 years??

Old 07-08-2020, 04:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
3) At impact, I'm mostly using my arms and not taking advantage of lower/upper body (I watched a Danny Maude video on YouTube where he explained that when we throw a ball, we use our whole body, and to use the same principle for the downswing).
I think I do this, too.
Similar to hitting a baseball with a bat. It's all about the torque.
The physics is what intrigues me.
The fact that I cannot physically do it frustrates me.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
everybody is using this in 20 years??

I mean metal woods didn't exist in the past and neither did hybrids. What if 20 years from now, all irons are replaced by hybrids? Or let's say clubs become bigger and have larger sweet spots that make it impossible to mis-hit the ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I think I do this, too.
Similar to hitting a baseball with a bat. It's all about the torque.
The physics is what intrigues me.
The fact that I cannot physically do it frustrates me.
You could start with small swings. I tried this at the range yesterday and I was making good contact with my short irons, but not so much with the longer clubs.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
I mean metal woods didn't exist in the past and neither did hybrids. What if 20 years from now, all irons are replaced by hybrids? Or let's say clubs become bigger and have larger sweet spots that make it impossible to mis-hit the ball?

i recall someone telling me that younger dudes who learned in the era of cavity backed irons/perimeter weighted and super big drivers with all the tech have a distance advantage bc they learned to swing big with fewer penalties. I wasn't sure. I learned on the old timer clubs (i am 50) and those damn things were not forgiving. once your swing is made, it is ahrd to unleash more without lessons and effort (two things I lack time for).

it has long been known that jybrids and the lower center of gravity was advantageous over irons, right? or am i just totally making things up now?
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
i recall someone telling me that younger dudes who learned in the era of cavity backed irons/perimeter weighted and super big drivers with all the tech have a distance advantage bc they learned to swing big with fewer penalties. I wasn't sure. I learned on the old timer clubs (i am 50) and those damn things were not forgiving. once your swing is made, it is ahrd to unleash more without lessons and effort (two things I lack time for).
this is definitely me. I grew up with the "swing hard and if that's not working, swing harder" mentality. in the last couple years, I have been working on swinging nice and easy, and my iron play has improved dramatically. still not amazing, but getting relatively consistent. That said, I'm still and likely forever to be the "grip it and rip it" guy off the tee.

Quote:
it has long been known that jybrids and the lower center of gravity was advantageous over irons, right? or am i just totally making things up now?
I have had good and bad experiences with hybrids. overall, I'd say they are definitely advantageous for me out of the rough, and when I hit one well it is fun to watch. but the standard devation on my hybrid shots is wider than my long irons, not sure if it's due to the lower profile face or what.