Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old Today, 12:26 PM
SOA

College: Penn State Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffd View Post
I've tried using the locate exam option on the following page to look for the CFE exam under any name. Doesn't seem like Prometric is even offering it? Checked about a dozen states. Am I crazy?

https://www.prometric.com/soa
There are two SDM exams listed. When I tried to register with prometric my registration id mapped to SDM...
Old Today, 12:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome388 View Post
You want the SOA to guarantee something?! HAHAHAHA Obvs, that would be the way to go (or offer more sittings/days), but I don't think they care.

I don't want to jump on another "letter/email writing campaign," but I do think we have a few months to sort it out before October, and the SOA should have a better plan of attack given the timeframe.
also... 100% for this.

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old Today, 12:41 PM
SOA

College: University of Toronto

Not in Health, but looks like they're getting an extension:
https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...n-deadline.pdf

PDF includes a note that applies to all tracks:
"There is no change to the transition deadline for obtaining an FSA without completing the Predictive Analytics exam for candidates who had obtained their ASA before July 1, 2018. As a reminder: Candidates who obtained an ASA designation before July 1, 2018 are exempt from the Predictive Analytics exam requirement, provided they also earn fellowship by July 1, 2022. This transition deadline will be reviewed later this year and all eligible candidates will be informed if it is modified."
Old Today, 12:47 PM
SOA

College: Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammytime View Post
Not in Health, but looks like they're getting an extension:
https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...n-deadline.pdf

PDF includes a note that applies to all tracks:
"There is no change to the transition deadline for obtaining an FSA without completing the Predictive Analytics exam for candidates who had obtained their ASA before July 1, 2018. As a reminder: Candidates who obtained an ASA designation before July 1, 2018 are exempt from the Predictive Analytics exam requirement, provided they also earn fellowship by July 1, 2022. This transition deadline will be reviewed later this year and all eligible candidates will be informed if it is modified."
THANK YOU!!! Where'd you find this on their site?--nvm, found it on the Exam Updates section. Thanks again for finding it and letting us know!

Also, fingers crossed for the rest of you about the PA exam extension!
Old Today, 12:50 PM
SOA

College: University of Toronto

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! Where'd you find this on their site?

Also, fingers crossed for the rest of you about the PA exam extension!
I keep refreshing their COVID education page lol:
https://www.soa.org/programs/covid-19/edu-exams/
Old Today, 01:02 PM
SOA

WELL ANYWAYS, i hope at the end of the day everyone who wants to write is able too - even if i that's thinking way too highly of SOA.

Old Today, 01:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by binyamin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel.fel View Post
in that case, COMPLAIN! the remotely digitally proctoring honestly makes the most sense if its only at 50% capacity of how many people would normally write.

& lets say i cant find a spot this fall, i may also not find a spot next spring either - its going to turn into a blood bath to get a spot which doesnt sound appealing
CAS tried this in 2018 and from what I read they failed miserably. Lucy might have better info. I wouldn't still trust internet connection at home and there are plenty of ways to cheat with remote proctoring. So sourcing that out to someplace like Prometric would be the best way.
The remote proctoring was an unmitigated disaster, but a lot of the issues had to do with the proctoring company, which appeared to have issues scaling up to the volume of exams that were required to be proctored at once. (That's the diagnosis of my husband, the professional web-developer. Not an official statement from the CAS.) It's possible that a large firm that has been doing this for a while, like Prometric or Pearson VUE, has a reasonable remote-proctoring experience.
Old Today, 02:10 PM
SOA

College: Ohio State

I canceled sitting for the exam next week. I don't think I would have passed, and all the stress and anxiety wasn't worth it. The transition extension sealed it for me.

I already registered for the fall exam, too (and requested a refund rather than a voucher). FV wasn't available in NYC (closest to me was Fairlawn NJ, about 5 down the list), but DP still had sittings in the city.
Old Today, 03:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
I canceled sitting for the exam next week. I don't think I would have passed, and all the stress and anxiety wasn't worth it. The transition extension sealed it for me.

I already registered for the fall exam, too (and requested a refund rather than a voucher). FV wasn't available in NYC (closest to me was Fairlawn NJ, about 5 down the list), but DP still had sittings in the city.
glad you got a seat!! no one i know where i am was able to get a seat within 150 miles so we're not sure what we're gonna do!