Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM
SOA

Default ASM Study Manual worth the $160?

The ASM Study Manual for the FM exam after June is $160. I obviously want to pass the FM and don't want to pay $225 twice, but is it really worth $160 for the manual?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Junior

Going to go ahead and bump this topic, since I'm also wondering if it's worth it.

I passed Exam P yesterday, which I studied using the ACTEX manual and TIA practice exams. For Exam FM, I'm not exactly sure how to start studying, but I keep reading on here that ASM is superior to ACTEX. For Exam P, I had at least taken a probability and statistics course beforehand. I haven't really taken anything that goes into detail for financial mathematics, so I'm basically starting from scratch on this one.

I've also heard that the ASM manual is extremely complex, so my main concern is if I, as someone starting from scratch, will be confused trying to learn everything upon the first reading.

Advice would be appreciated. Finding a way to pass Exam FM by the end of the summer would be huge!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperm View Post
I've also heard that the ASM manual is extremely complex, so my main concern is if I, as someone starting from scratch, will be confused trying to learn everything upon the first reading.
Disagree
Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Disagree
So basically, I don't really have an excuse to not purchase it this week?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Miami University (Class of '19)

I purchased the manual last week (per recommendations on here) and I'd say from a preliminary skimming of the manual that it is well worth the purchase. If you have a TI BA-II Plus calculator, the manual contains notes on how to use it for the questions that show up in the manual (and presumably on the exam).
Old 05-24-2017, 12:34 AM
SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringActuary19 View Post
I purchased the manual last week (per recommendations on here) and I'd say from a preliminary skimming of the manual that it is well worth the purchase. If you have a TI BA-II Plus calculator, the manual contains notes on how to use it for the questions that show up in the manual (and presumably on the exam).
Do you think someone with no prior studies specifically in financial mathematics (aside from calculus classes, etc.) would be able to pick up on the material through the ASM without any issues? This is basically the only thing holding me back. I'm willing to drop $200 for a BA-II Plus and an ASM manual if it's enough to get me to pass by the end of the summer.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Miami University (Class of '19)

I am in the same boat as you. The only real background I have in financial mathematics is some intro-level accounting and two semesters of calc - can't take a business finance class yet or some of this would have been covered.

That being said it shouldn't be an issue. FM is a little less math-based and more concept-based, and a lot of concepts are on this exam, to be sure; some of the concepts are hidden in the extra syllabus "required readings". For me, this exam is too high-stakes (i.e. determines whether or not I might get an internship next year) not to refer to those, in my opinion.

Last edited by AspiringActuary19; 05-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: a word
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 AM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

The calculator sections alone make ASM worth the money, IMO.

As for background, I started studying for FM 3 years after I graduated from college. I took one really basic finance class (not enough for Corporate Finance VEE credit, if that's a useful benchmark) probably in my sophomore year. And it was pretty easy to follow.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I passed the exam using the old (11e) ASM and TIA. I used the ASM for all the lessons and practice problems. I didn't do the practice exams on it. I used TIA for the practice exams and to revisit my weak sections. Definitely didn't need the TIA but I felt woefully unprepared a month ago and bought the lessons out of panic.

I've never used ACTEX so I can't really compare it against that.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM
SOA

Studying for FM

Yes, it's definitely worth the money. Compared to an inferior Exam FM textbook you used in your school, ASM is much better.

Tags
asm, fm exam, study manual