Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM
CAS

Default ISO ILF Curves

For anyone familiar with ISO Verisk curves, particularly their ILF curves, does anyone know the difference between the three tables (1-3) they provide for each group?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuario92 View Post
For anyone familiar with ISO Verisk curves, particularly their ILF curves, does anyone know the difference between the three tables (1-3) they provide for each group?
Different classes are grouped together in each of the tables. Consult the CLM for the mapping.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:19 PM
CAS

Default ISO ILF Curves

I suggest you read the actuarial circular on the ILF curve once so you understand how ISO constructs its curves. Possibly there are components of the calculation where you feel industry data should be replaced with your own company considerations.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 AM
CAS

If I remember correctly, tables 1, 2 and 3 are for the premises/operations coverage. Classes assigned to table 1 have the lowest average severity of losses while classes assigned to table 3 have the highest. As Jerry suggests above, looking at the actual circular would provide the information you’re looking for.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin'
Favorite beer: Urban Village Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by oirg View Post
If I remember correctly, tables 1, 2 and 3 are for the premises/operations coverage. Classes assigned to table 1 have the lowest average severity of losses while classes assigned to table 3 have the highest. As Jerry suggests above, looking at the actual circular would provide the information you’re looking for.
This is correct. ISO publishes tables 1-3 for Prem/Ops only, and these are further split into state groups that can be identified by downloading the Actuarial Services circular and looking at the state key. The Products/Completed Ops curves are split into Tables A,B, and C and there are only 3 curves, as these are countrywide.

It's not just about average severity, however. Table 1 has a thinner tail with regard to size of loss than Table 2, which in turn has a thinner tail than Table 3 - so it has more to do with how large the ILFs are for certain class codes that are mapped to these tables.

Tags
curves, ilf, iso