Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: Natty Litey
Default Exam FM/2 June 2017 Thread

There seems to be a lot of random discussions about the changes in June, but no official thread.

Last edited by Taemisung1; 05-31-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

I'm scheduled for June 14 -- 2 more weeks to study

P FM MFE MLC C
Old 06-06-2017, 10:31 PM
CAS

Exclamation Determinants of Interest Rates

I'm glad someone created this thread.

How are you going about studying for the Determinant of Interest Rates portion of the exam?
On Coaching Actuaries they only have 8 questions regarding that section, and they are very simple questions.

Also, what are you using to study?
I used Coaching Actuaries for the last sitting (didn't pass) and was getting high 20's on level 5 exams. It felt like my exam was more around a level 6 exam. I am still using CA and have been just taking level 6 exams and have gotten a 25/35 consistently each time. Sort of a bummer, but still got a week left.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: Natty Litey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunited12 View Post
I'm glad someone created this thread.

How are you going about studying for the Determinant of Interest Rates portion of the exam?
On Coaching Actuaries they only have 8 questions regarding that section, and they are very simple questions.

Also, what are you using to study?
I used Coaching Actuaries for the last sitting (didn't pass) and was getting high 20's on level 5 exams. It felt like my exam was more around a level 6 exam. I am still using CA and have been just taking level 6 exams and have gotten a 25/35 consistently each time. Sort of a bummer, but still got a week left.
I've only briefly gone over Determinant of Interest Rates. When you sat for the exam last time was that section well represented or low concentration on it?

I used the ASM to learn and CA so far to practice. I feel that the best method is to drilldown on section quizzes for each section that you are missing and stop practicing problems you already know for sure.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

I have been doing Adapt level 7 exams and I'm not doing very well on them. When I took exam P, I thought the questions were much simpler than Adapt with a lot less stuff going on in them. I'm hoping it's the same for FM.

P FM MFE MLC C
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taemisung1 View Post
I've only briefly gone over Determinant of Interest Rates. When you sat for the exam last time was that section well represented or low concentration on it?

I used the ASM to learn and CA so far to practice. I feel that the best method is to drilldown on section quizzes for each section that you are missing and stop practicing problems you already know for sure.
Taemisung1, last Exam FM was a different syllabus. Last time I sat, the syllabus included Derivatives such as options and option combinations. That has been moved to Exam MFE. Instead, they added Interest Rate questions. Interest Rate Swaps weren't weighted that much, now each exam I see at least 2 questions on that, and they completely added Determinant of Interest Rates.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 PM
CAS

Just passed this afternoon, had an ER of 8 on ADAPT and the exam felt like a level 5-6. Good luck to all sitting in June!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 PM
CAS

College: University of Manitoba 3rd year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryTrainee View Post
Just passed this afternoon, had an ER of 8 on ADAPT and the exam felt like a level 5-6. Good luck to all sitting in June!
hey, congratulation! thats awesome!. how were the questions on determinant of interest rates? were they like the ones in Adapt?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryTrainee View Post
Well done, congratulations. What level exams were you taking to prepare yourself?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 PM
CAS

As far as the new section of the syllabus, I read the study note provided by SOA and did the practice problems from ADAPT and felt well prepared for the questions I got on the exam. For practice exams I took level 5 exams and was consistently getting 25/30 on them