Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 AM
SOA

Default Car Insurance option question

Are there companies that offer an insurance policy that has a low deductible but also offers a maximum payout that is lower than the value of a car?

Here is my situation:

Car is paid off, but I don't want to insure the full value of the car. I want to insure a smaller amount, but I also don't want to jimmy rig this by lowering my deductible. In other words, I want to have a low deductible for something like hail damage or a small accident, but I only really want to insure enough to make a down payment on another car if it is totaled.

Put another way, I want to pay for full coverage as if my car is a less valuable one.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:30 PM
CAS AAA

For lower recovery with a total loss try asking for a stated value policy (pays lower of stated value or ACV).
Old 09-07-2018, 02:37 PM

I'm sure it's out there, although whether your agent offers it (or, assuming they do, that they are aware of it and willing to figure it out), not clear.

Just FYI, total losses aren't that common and the savings is unlikely to be material IMO. I wouldn't waste my time.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Annoyed View Post
I want to insure a smaller amount, but I also don't want to jimmy rig this by lowering my deductible.
Assuming you meant "increasing"?
Anyway, I'm guessing that Westley's right and the savings aren't likely to be material.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:10 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Anyway, I'm guessing that Westley's right and the savings aren't likely to be material.
decreasing in the negative direction
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I did mean increasing, thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 AM
CAS AAA

College: New York University

I would agree that the savings are not likely to be material.

For Homeowners, agents try to make sure that the limit of your policy keeps up with the value of your home because the pricing assumes that the loss distribution maxes at your policy limit. I have not heard of the same diligence for auto, but would not be surprised.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 AM
CAS

I don't really understand the desire to cover only small losses. If you don't care about a big/total loss, why don't you drop physical damage and self insure? I imagine you would build up enough to cover your desired amount in a relatively short accident free period.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:26 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
I would agree that the savings are not likely to be material.

For Homeowners, agents try to make sure that the limit of your policy keeps up with the value of your home because the pricing assumes that the loss distribution maxes at your policy limit. I have not heard of the same diligence for auto, but would not be surprised.
It generally wouldn't be necessary for Auto physical damage, as actual cash value is the upper limit of coverage for the standard coverage (stated value is a little different), and most insurers use a variable that captures the value of the vehicle (ISO cost symbols are common) and model year )which captures depreciation) in the rating plan.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post

Just FYI, total losses aren't that common and the savings is unlikely to be material IMO. I wouldn't waste my time.
Compared to What? Anecdotally, I was a claims adjuster, and I would say around half of my non-glass claims involved one or more cars totalling out. If the car is paid for, then it's likely a few years old at least, and even more likely to total out.