Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Yeah our current president is using the same tactic. Just inducing fear and leveraging power. Unfortunately, you can't do that when you're not in any position to do that. We are talking about on your way to the top. Not, what you can get by doing when you're already in the top.
Some people can say absolutely nothing all day and gain the respect of colleagues.

I bet the fax machine makes more noise than me, but my superiors all love me.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I'm thinking people may be overthinking contributions from a "Liar".

Lest there be any malinformed students in here though;

The executives at my company by and large, eat, drink, and breathe our business. The executives who are actuaries read actuarial literature without having to be prodded by the society. The non-Actuary executives read the WSJ and other business journals to keep up on what interest rate or regulatory changes might be coming down the pipeline.

For below executive level, promotions seem to correlate with taking initiative, spearheading projects, speaking up in meetings, etc.

The extent to which the people elevated have a "look" or are attractive probably has more to do with pride in self-image than anything else. Being well groomed. Dressing nice. Taking care of one's self. That kind of stuff.

White collar business absolutely isn't a perfect meritocracy. But there is a clear delineation between someone who reads enough material to pass exams, and someone who reads material because they're curious about how it might impact their company. Liar's comments about FSA -> competent enough isn't really accurate (shocker). There are levels to this career.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
Actually, I do have 'that look' and have been promoted to a sr analyst role in 1.5 years even before other analysts who've been here twice as long as I have.

I'm just very honest with myself. Getting promoted is about having good social skills, but to have good social skills you need to have people like you, and to have people like you you need to be attractive.

It's just the way the humans subconsciously judge people based on looks.
come on dog.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Actually, I do have 'that look' and have been promoted to a sr analyst role in 1.5 years even before other analysts who've been here twice as long as I have.

I'm just very honest with myself. Getting promoted is about having good social skills, but to have good social skills you need to have people like you, and to have people like you you need to be attractive.

It's just the way the humans subconsciously judge people based on looks.
Also, senior analyst, is not the level of promotion most of us are talking about, we're talking about middle management.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Usually those who have 'that look' are confident because they receive more compliments in a year than most people receive in a lifetime.

Looks are absolutely important.

To be frank, I don't think social skills are that important. I've seen many executives yell at subordinates and call them morons.
Those two are not exclusive. People with social skills can still be ******** sometimes.