Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 10-13-2018, 09:59 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary_Zero View Post
Been sick so I don't feel like doing any in depth writeups. Just know that I've gotten ~54/90 on 4 straight Mahler exams and hate everything.

How's everyone else doing?
I was able to get 30 correct on Mahler SE#5, got two incorrect and left the rest blank so 59 points total. First time I got above 54 points and first time I got 30 correct so it seems to be trending in the right direction.

I'm going to do #6 tomorrow and probably 3-4 more before exam day then review formulas for a couple days before the exam.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1290 View Post
I was able to get 30 correct on Mahler SE#5, got two incorrect and left the rest blank so 59 points total. First time I got above 54 points and first time I got 30 correct so it seems to be trending in the right direction.

I'm going to do #6 tomorrow and probably 3-4 more before exam day then review formulas for a couple days before the exam.
Nice! What are your thoughts on leaving so many blank? Honestly there's like 10 questions on each Mahler exam that I have no idea what's going on and have no desire to learn what's going on in them.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Non-Actuary

Does anyone here think the Spring 2018 exam is indicative of the difficulty we should expect on the exam? Or might it have been a little easier because it was the first sitting of MAS-I?
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapticFits View Post
Does anyone here think the Spring 2018 exam is indicative of the difficulty we should expect on the exam? Or might it have been a little easier because it was the first sitting of MAS-I?
The pass rate was 45% which is around what 3L was and significantly lower than the last sittings of S. I expect it'll be around the same difficulty, if anything maybe slightly easier?
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
Nice! What are your thoughts on leaving so many blank? Honestly there's like 10 questions on each Mahler exam that I have no idea what's going on and have no desire to learn what's going on in them.
I review all my misses and re-do them 3-5 days later, so I'm learning them as I go. Generally, I've found Mahler's exam to have far more obscure topics than the actual test, at least that's how they were for C. There were always 5-7 problems on his exams for C that I just had no idea how to do.

I don't mind leaving so many blank right now but I may start strategically guessing soon to get a more realistic idea of how I would perform on the test, although I doubt I'm going to blindly guess on too many with the guessing adjustment if I feel the exam is going generally well.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
The pass rate was 45% which is around what 3L was and significantly lower than the last sittings of S. I expect it'll be around the same difficulty, if anything maybe slightly easier?
Agreed. It was on par with the pass rates for 3L and was actually significantly lower than even the past few sittings of S in addition to the last one like you said.

Only thing I'm really worried about are the question on the new statistical methods as there aren't many practice problems out there on the new stuff, and I don't have a copy of the source text.