Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
Any other suggestions of specific companies?
Given what you've provided and been willing to take so far, I doubt your authenticity.

If you're going to troll the serious fora here, at least make an effort to be entertaining. Otherwise, what's the point?
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-29-2018, 06:54 PM
Revered
CAS AAA

Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib

Quote:
Any other suggestions of specific companies?
No.

You are getting the responses you are getting because it is a terrible lazy question. How the hell would I or anyone know where the best entry level job is? None of us have worked for more than a handful of companies. It's like asking what the best restaurant in America is. Even that I could take a stab at since I have been to hundreds.

Do you want us to take a week off and poll 100 actuaries and run it through excel with some nice graphs.

Advice: instead of asking an open ended question in which you have obviously not done any research how about you do this.

Tell us what research you have done.
Tell us why you asked the question. Are you looking to apply to one or is this just morbid curiosity.
What are your parameters. Do you want to be home at 4:00 or do you like working long hours? Do you have exams? Are you constricted geographically. Are you social? What are your current skills? Are you a data guy or a social guy or both? You have family?
curls for the girls

Spoiler:

]
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 PM

Powerball Lottery Winner. Sure you have to do a few meetings and be in TV, but the pay is good. You also get to work with structured settlements and/or payout annuities.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:08 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Apathy View Post
what the best restaurant in America is.
Machine Shed, West Des Moines, Iowa.

I thought this was obvious?
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-29-2018, 09:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Machine Shed, West Des Moines, Iowa.

I thought this was obvious?
mmm that place is actually really good. good pumpkin bread.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:31 PM

OP, GA is being a bit unfairly harsh IMO, but barely. If you don't mind a sports metaphor, you're asking questions about kicking or running on a hypothetical 4th-and-goal, down 3 with 5 seconds on the clock; when the other team is about to kickoff to start the game.

You can't even comprehend what you're going to learn or who you're going to meet or what else will change in your life over the next few months and years, so getting hung up on some weird hypothetical is nonsense. Read some, spend some time thinking about what you want, hang with friends. When you have a time where you have a decision to make, share some info and get some advice, but for now you're just cluttering up your head with nonsense.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Thanks for the advice, Westley. Finally, someone providing a logical critique as opposed to all the ad hominems.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Westley. Finally, someone providing a logical critique as opposed to all the ad hominems.
just curious... why do you aspire to be vp and not p?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
just curious... why do you aspire to be vp and not p?
For all of you jumping to conclusions, the vp at the end of my username doesn't stand for "Vice President"....
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
For all of you jumping to conclusions, the vp at the end of my username doesn't stand for "Vice President"....
Oh... what is it then?