Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-18-2019, 01:59 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)
Default Questions From Someone Planning to Start FAP Today

Hi Everyone! For backgrounds sake, I'm not currently studying for an exam and will take PA some time next year. I'm planning on doing FAP before the change and had a few questions:

-I understand this varies for different people, but how are the books? The SOA recommended ones I mean. Did you use them? I hear a lot of the material is covered in the modules, making the books not really necessary.
-The September deadline for submitting the IA with a chance at a retake is scary. How long is a reasonable amount of time to spend on each of the first 4 modules and the IA respectively?
-Is it hard to pass IA first go? Asking in case I miss that September deadline.

Thank you!

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
Hi Everyone! For backgrounds sake, I'm not currently studying for an exam and will take PA some time next year. I'm planning on doing FAP before the change and had a few questions:

-I understand this varies for different people, but how are the books? The SOA recommended ones I mean. Did you use them? I hear a lot of the material is covered in the modules, making the books not really necessary.
-The September deadline for submitting the IA with a chance at a retake is scary. How long is a reasonable amount of time to spend on each of the first 4 modules and the IA respectively?
-Is it hard to pass IA first go? Asking in case I miss that September deadline.

Thank you!
Have you already committed to starting the modules? If I was in your shoes, I would take PA in December and do the new modules when they come out. That's just me though.

I found the textbooks necessary. Others may feel differently, but I couldn't have gotten by without them.

Getting Modules 1-5 and the IA done by the September deadline would be very rushed. Again, everyone is different, but I couldn't have done it that quickly. Getting that all done by the November deadline would be reasonable.

No idea how common it is to pass the IA on the first try.
Conferences: APC
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic120592 View Post
Have you already committed to starting the modules? If I was in your shoes, I would take PA in December and do the new modules when they come out. That's just me though.

I found the textbooks necessary. Others may feel differently, but I couldn't have gotten by without them.

Getting Modules 1-5 and the IA done by the September deadline would be very rushed. Again, everyone is different, but I couldn't have done it that quickly. Getting that all done by the November deadline would be reasonable.

No idea how common it is to pass the IA on the first try.
I honestly kinda just want a break from the whole exam process haha. I know PA isn't really an "exam" but it's close enough.

Good to know. Work is covering the costs, but ya know, reading is a chore.

I honestly don't think I'll get the September deadline. I leave at 8:30 for work and get home at 7:00 so my time studying on weekdays is a bit limited.

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 07-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Studying for EA-2L

You get a month for IA, so the last possible minute you can submit the modules looks like is October 11 in order to have a month for IA to submit by November 11. That would not be enough time for me. I took the scenic route, so some might do it faster. That seems really fast though. I found IA not to be too bad and passed on the first try even though I'm no genius. I had all the books, plus Actex with the online search feature, and I used all of it, so that's my recommendation. Others did it with less. I was far removed from exams when I attempted FAP, having not sat for an SOA exam in over 10 years, so maybe that's why I needed every resource out there. dunno.

If it were me though, I'd do PA and just wait for the change for FAP and do it then. it would suck to start and have to do it all over if you don't finish.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 07-18-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
I honestly kinda just want a break from the whole exam process haha. I know PA isn't really an "exam" but it's close enough.

Good to know. Work is covering the costs, but ya know, reading is a chore.

I honestly don't think I'll get the September deadline. I leave at 8:30 for work and get home at 7:00 so my time studying on weekdays is a bit limited.
PA seems like an exam to me. What makes it not an exam? The pass rate was low iirc.
Spoiler:
Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Studying for EA-2L

change sucks in general, but in looking at what's changing for FAP, it sounds like an improvement to me. you no longer have to do the end of module exercises at all? those sucked.
Spoiler:
Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
You get a month for IA, so the last possible minute you can submit the modules looks like is October 11 in order to have a month for IA to submit by November 11.
Right but I wouldn't necessarily have to wait a month from start to finish, correct? I could theoretically start IA October 31st, take a few days off to do it, then submit it by November 11th, correct?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Right but I wouldn't necessarily have to wait a month from start to finish, correct? I could theoretically start IA October 31st, take a few days off to do it, then submit it by November 11th, correct?
correct. I might work slower than others. I took about 3 weeks to do it and some of that time was with days off. everyone is different. no way I'd do it this cramped together, but you probably have some idea of what you're capable of. I wouldn't have even attempted that timeline in the first place. it also seems somewhat unnecessary since the new FAP doesn't sound worse than the current one and might be better.
Spoiler: