Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: New Albanian Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Walk View Post
Well, some folks are starting to say insurance companies' policies on painkillers are making the opioid crisis worse:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/h...companies.html
Well duh, the drugs are so freaking cheap it's not worth fighting over to save a nickel per member per month on the whole health plan. The treatment and the Suboxone scripts, now those are expensive, we'll fight over those.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:01 PM
SOA

Also more healthcare fraud, the Dr's treating addicts are requiring $225 drug screens 2-3 times a week for some of these folks. Get rich on selling the drug screen, what a racket providers have going on.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
When I had a kidney stone blasted I was given a 90 day (@ 6 pills per day) script for vicodin. Someone told me the street value for 540 vicodin tablets was several K.
I was in a situation where Doc A said I needed a couple of surgeries that he didn't do and he recommended that I talk to Doc B or Doc C about it.

Doc B was closer to my house so I made an appointment to discuss. As I left... having NOT yet made a decision about which doc I was even going to use, gal behind the counter reached to a bookshelf (that was technically behind the counter, but quite reachable from in front of the counter) and grabbed from a high stack of papers, an Rx sheet for me... all filled out with all of the Rx's they were recommending I'd need for the surgery.

Included a couple of Valium for the day of the surgery, and a bunch of hydrocodone and some other stuff (antibiotics, Rx strength ibuprofen). She hand-wrote my name on the photo-copied sheet of paper... I could have *easily* grabbed a bunch from the stack and wrote in whatever name I felt like.

At this point I hadn't even decided if I was going to have that doctor perform the surgery or a different doctor. I couldn't believe how cavalierly they were handing out hydrocodone Rx's... just like lollipops on the counter almost.

Despite my misgivings about their lack of security around Rx's, I did end up deciding to go with that doc, primarily due to logistics. At every opportunity (pre-surgery appointment, day of surgery, follow-up appointment, pre-surgery appt for 2nd surgery, day of 2nd surgery, 2nd surgery follow-up) they were practically shoving that same Rx sheet in my face. It was kind of appalling. I had to tell them several times that I had enough pain medication thank-you very much. And I actually decided to get a little more than I really needed because I sometimes get back pain and I figured it would be nice to have a little extra hydrocodone around the house for occasional flare-ups.

Last edited by twig93; 04-23-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I was in a situation where Doc A said I needed a couple of surgeries that he didn't do and he recommended that I talk to Doc B or Doc C about it.

Doc B was closer to my house so I made an appointment to discuss. As I left... having NOT yet made a decision about which doc I was even going to use, gal behind the counter reached to a bookshelf (that was technically behind the counter, but quite reachable from in front of the counter) and grabbed from a high stack of papers, an Rx sheet for me... all filled out with all of the Rx's they were recommending I'd need for the surgery.

Included a couple of Valium for the day of the surgery, and a bunch of hydrocodone and some other stuff (antibiotics, Rx strength ibuprofen). She hand-wrote my name on the photo-copied sheet of paper... I could have *easily* grabbed a bunch from the stack and wrote in whatever name I felt like.

At this point I hadn't even decided if I was going to have that doctor perform the surgery or a different doctor. I couldn't believe how cavalierly they were handing out hydrocodone Rx's... just like lollipops on the counter almost.

Despite my misgivings about their lack of security around Rx's, I did end up deciding to go with that doc, primarily due to logistics. At every opportunity (pre-surgery appointment, day of surgery, follow-up appointment, pre-surgery appt for 2nd surgery, day of 2nd surgery, 2nd surgery follow-up) they were practically shoving that same Rx sheet in my face. It was kind of appalling. I had to tell them several times that I had enough pain medication thank-you very much. And I actually decided to get a little more than I really needed because I sometimes get back pain and I figured it would be nice to have a little extra hydrocodone around the house for occasional flare-ups.
I would never get in the habit of taking hydrocodone for back pain. Some ibuprofen, maybe a tylenol, stretch out and move on. Those drugs are not safe for human beings except for 2-3 days at a time for excruciating pain related to a surgery. Heck smoke some weed or something.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
I would never get in the habit of taking hydrocodone for back pain. Some ibuprofen, maybe a tylenol, stretch out and move on. Those drugs are not safe for human beings except for 2-3 days at a time for excruciating pain related to a surgery. Heck smoke some weed or something.
I sometimes do get excruciating back pain, which is the only time I'd ever take a narcotic for it. It's very sporadic, and much less frequent if I've been good about doing the stretches / exercises my chiropractor gave me.

I'd say I probably take a narcotic for back pain somewhere between 0-5 times a year, with 2 being average. It's certainly not a "habit" as you called it. But when it happens it's absolutely debilitating. I can't even drive.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I sometimes do get excruciating back pain, which is the only time I'd ever take a narcotic for it. It's very sporadic, and much less frequent if I've been good about doing the stretches / exercises my chiropractor gave me.

I'd say I probably take a narcotic for back pain somewhere between 0-5 times a year, with 2 being average. It's certainly not a "habit" as you called it. But when it happens it's absolutely debilitating. I can't even drive.
Have you used a muscle relaxant? That helped me when I had very bad back pain not helped by Tylenol. The combination of rest, Tylenol and relaxant eased the pain until I finally recovered. The relaxant also requires a prescription, but it is non-narcotic which I would highly recommend trying.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Have you used a muscle relaxant? That helped me when I had very bad back pain not helped by Tylenol. The combination of rest, Tylenol and relaxant eased the pain until I finally recovered. The relaxant also requires a prescription, but it is non-narcotic which I would highly recommend trying.
Yes. Doctors universally prescribe me hydrocodone (narcotic) and cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer). Sometimes Rx strength ibuprofen as well, but usually just the first two.

They almost always give me more than I need so I take what I need to feel better and stash the rest for the next flare-up. I typically only need to see a doctor every 3rd or 4th flare-up because the meds from one visit last long enough to cover the next few.

Been an ongoing issue for about 15 years now so I'm pretty familiar with the drill. As I've gotten older, I think the balance has shifted from me getting more benefit from the narcotic to getting more benefit from the muscle relaxer.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Walk View Post
Well, some folks are starting to say insurance companies' policies on painkillers are making the opioid crisis worse:
I can't wait for the public outcry for insurance companies to please get between patients and their doctors/medications more. That will be hilarious and also imaginary.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I can't wait for the public outcry for insurance companies to please get between patients and their doctors/medications more. That will be hilarious and also imaginary.
"I am not amused."

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Sure, but reading the quote it seems like what is needed (or at least implied) is for LESS insurance interference. If insurers covered less addictive drugs, doctors might be more likely to prescribe them.