Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
You can game the system to steal money from taxpayers or you can buy health insurance without a subsidy as the law intends for people of your means

Not everything that is technically legal is ethical or something one should put effort into doing
I'm not certain that the law didn't intend for exactly what yoyo is planning on doing. My interpretation of the structure of the ACA is that it is intended to encourage early retirement. By linking together the subsidies with FPL people who have the means to retire but are not yet eligible for Medicare can take advantage of the subsidies and leave the active work force. IIRC, this was used as a talking point back in 2010. Encouraging baby boomers to leave the work force and free up jobs for millennials was certainly something that would have been supported when the law was passed. One talking point I do recall was that the ACA provided the opportunity for people to start their own business without the fear that insurance costs would bankrupt them. It felt to me at the time that this was targeted at the baby boomers so they could follow their dreams. Assuming my minority opinion (if a group of one can be considered a minority) is accurate, than yoyo is utilizing the law as intended.

TLDR; I think that yoyo was one of the intended recipients of subsidies by the law's authors. Therefore his actions can't be ruled unethical.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosOnFirst View Post
I'm not certain that the law didn't intend for exactly what yoyo is planning on doing. My interpretation of the structure of the ACA is that it is intended to encourage early retirement. By linking together the subsidies with FPL people who have the means to retire but are not yet eligible for Medicare can take advantage of the subsidies and leave the active work force. IIRC, this was used as a talking point back in 2010. Encouraging baby boomers to leave the work force and free up jobs for millennials was certainly something that would have been supported when the law was passed. One talking point I do recall was that the ACA provided the opportunity for people to start their own business without the fear that insurance costs would bankrupt them. It felt to me at the time that this was targeted at the baby boomers so they could follow their dreams. Assuming my minority opinion (if a group of one can be considered a minority) is accurate, than yoyo is utilizing the law as intended.

TLDR; I think that yoyo was one of the intended recipients of subsidies by the law's authors. Therefore his actions can't be ruled unethical.
interesting perspective, thanks for contributing
Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DEATH SQUADS, THE LACK OF COMPETITION, EMPLOYER'S ELIMINATING EMPLOYER SPONSORED PLANS, AND THE LOSS OF R&D FUNDING????!!!???!!!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i'll respond to this bit since it is more in line with what this sub-forum is about.

i will have several years worth of budget in cash and other ST liquid funds to ride out corrections.
Sounds like you should stop trying to manipulate your income to get benefits for poor people then
Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:

Quote:
i'll respond to this bit since it is more in line with what this sub-forum is about.

i will have several years worth of budget in cash and other ST liquid funds to ride out corrections.
Quote:
Income: 135k
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:

The CBO did consider this: Link

So yes, some people will retire early and utilize the ACA. Similarly, some folks who might want to quit a job to start a business or whatever could do the same, when prior to the ACA they'd stick with a job that had health coverage.

I've been contemplating early retirement and thinking about this. It's complicated. I can see how one might argue this is 'taking advantage of the system,' I've had those thoughts. Many also object to the tax exemption for property taxes (myself included), but I've never heard of a single person refusing to take the credit on moral grounds. It's a complicated tax code. If I can make early retirement work, and the subsidies still exist, I'll use them if it works for me.