Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
You don't think the subsidies in the Affordable Care Act were intended to make care affordable? Do go on
love too make means-tested subsidies based on income and peg them to the poverty level but not intend for them to go to poor people
Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
love too make means-tested subsidies based on income and peg them to the poverty level but not intend for them to go to poor people
They are tied to the Federal Poverty Level by pure happenstance.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Quote:
You don't think the subsidies in the Affordable Care Act were intended to make careinsurance affordable? Do go on
IFYP, since pretty much nothing in the act was designed to make care more affordable.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
They are tied to the Federal Poverty Level by pure happenstance.
i don't understand what you mean here. either that or i don't understand what "happenstance" means. isn't FPL used as a measure for various other programs? what do you mean wrt its use in PPACA? i'm not trying to be difficult, i'd really like to understand what you're saying
Old 06-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i don't understand what you mean here. either that or i don't understand what "happenstance" means. isn't FPL used as a measure for various other programs? what do you mean wrt its use in PPACA? i'm not trying to be difficult, i'd really like to understand what you're saying
He is disputing Locrian's claim that ACA premium subsidies are not intended to go to poor people
Old 06-26-2018, 05:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
He is disputing Locrian's claim that ACA premium subsidies are not intended to go to poor people
okay, so CG was being snarky/funny
Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 PM
CAS

and by poor people, you must mean low income people, because subsidy eligibility is measured by income, not wealth
Old 06-26-2018, 06:01 PM

As low income people TEND not to have much wealth, it's used as an easier proxy. Means testing gets a lot more complicated when you throw assets into the mix due to wide variations in real estate and things like family farms.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
agin it then and now.
These are really fascinating reasons for being against it which is what i assume you meant. They sound like Fox News talking points.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...rchid=21424279
Quote:
plenty of people take advantage of tax law even when they oppose it. many AOers oppose deductions for charitable expense, mort int expense, etc, and believe that we are undertaxed. i also know people irl who believe this, yet they all take those deductions and do not pay any FIT over and above what is required of them.
Yes, if only those liberals would stop taking charitable deductions then all our problems would be solved. I don't know any liberals who primary concern is raising taxes. This is just a stupid argument you guys use. I think government should fund certain things, those that I think are underfunded I give to directly (ie $1000 to planned parenthood). I don't pay an extra $1000 in taxes so $700 can go to IMC and $2 to PP.

ACA is not a tax law. Manipulating your 'income' to get subsidies intended for people between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level to take advantage of a health care program you are on the record as being quite strongly against is pretty bad.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 06-26-2018 at 06:37 PM..
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

I knew a principled Obamacare hater. Dude didn't have insurance through his employer and paid a shitload in bills for one of his kids. He asked me what his options were. I said, well the individual market used to suck but now you have the exchange option!!

he said, and i quote, "i ain't getting no f***ing Obamacare!"

I was like, well I can't help you dumb ass. You're exactly who it's intended for. I guess you're not signing up for medicare when you're 65 either because it's government health insurance and R&D expenditures will be limited and death squads oh noes!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree