Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Update: I requested the two Dr. appts to be downgraded in severity. The Dr. herself emailed back and refused, offering that I can pay self-pay (for the first claim it's actually less) but questioning their codes will have me dropped as a patient.
What a shithead.

I mean, as a payer, should you have to pre-approve all procedures?

You should reply that it is unfortunate that you'll have to forward these to your insurer's fraud department.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Update: I requested the two Dr. appts to be downgraded in severity. The Dr. herself emailed back and refused, offering that I can pay self-pay (for the first claim it's actually less) but questioning their codes will have me dropped as a patient.
this is my new favorite TV show. when is the next episode?
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
What a shithead.

I mean, as a payer, should you have to pre-approve all procedures?

You should reply that it is unfortunate that you'll have to forward these to your insurer's fraud department.
so much.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
SOA AAA

Downside is that the Fraud Department will look at them and say, "so what? MM's paying."

Upside is that they pore through MM's provider's claims for the past several years. And that would be such a shame.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

This is infuriating waiting for my facility claim to come in. Now you're telling me there's some kind of lag between incurral and reporting? When did this happen?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
This is infuriating waiting for my facility claim to come in. Now you're telling me there's some kind of lag between incurral and reporting? When did this happen?
We do have several threads about IBNR, if that is what you're asking.

Just pay them $800. That is my estimate of your payment, knowing absolutely nothing about it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

lol
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Quote:
Personally, I suggest forwarding your bill and this e-mail to the office of your state attorney general and the department of insurance.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 AM
SOA

Studying for Health Foundations

Quote:
My patient portal has CPT codes.
I was thinking, man I'm somewhat jealous of this, and then I looked closer, and ours does too. We see our same providers for the same things regularly, and the bill is always the same by provider (I could pay the exact dollar amount at the office before we get the EOB, that's how regular the billing is), so I've never paid attention. Thanks for "making" me look

Related but unrelated, our deductible/OOP max are so low that they hardly seem like a deterrent (to me), but my spouse has a somewhat similar reaction as you've mentioned surrounding the deductible. Before the deductible, they're annoyed/worried about the cost with every bill (even though I'm the one paying/tracking for the HSA), and after the deductible, eh 10% who cares. We hit OOP max every year, I really don't care when it happens, it's the exact same amount of money out of my pocket whether it happens slowly, or quickly.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 AM
SOA

Studying for Health Foundations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Personally, I suggest forwarding your bill and this e-mail to the office of your state attorney general and the department of insurance.
Also,