Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

the upcoding is all just part of the game. it's a shitty game, but it's the game.

they get squeezed on what they get paid for an office visit, then they figure great, they will bill for some questions that were asked or tiny things they did while looking at you. there are whole seminars and consultancies built around this.

the lack of transparency in pricing is a big problem. I don't want to ask my doc before everything I ask/they ask "will this answer cost me more money?" But maybe I shoud and we all should.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Or we could get around all of these ridiculous shenanigans and just pay directly for primary care and other things that are routine and predictable. Primary care is actually very cheap if you cut out all of the extra admin of insurance. It's almost as if insurance used to only cover catastrophic, unlikely, random events for a good reason.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude cool View Post
Or we could get around all of these ridiculous shenanigans and just pay directly for primary care and other things that are routine and predictable. Primary care is actually very cheap if you cut out all of the extra admin of insurance. It's almost as if insurance used to only cover catastrophic, unlikely, random events for a good reason.
Great idea. I'll start implementing it as soon as I get all this toothpaste back in the tube.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Here is a fun upcode that I just witnessed.

The fee schedule for Oxygen states $.50 per unit. Well, the "unit" was supposed to be lbs. The provider figured out if they used PSI they'd be reimbursed more $. Been going on for about 9 months and a total of $320,000 of additional payments from the insurance company. I fixed the fee schedule to apply a different factor.
Nothing gay about mirin' another bro's gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Want to become aware of my fist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
this might be my favorite thread on the AO
Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICENSED TO ILL View Post

The fee schedule for Oxygen states $.50 per unit. Well, the "unit" was supposed to be lbs. The provider figured out if they used PSI they'd be reimbursed more $. Been going on for about 9 months and a total of $320,000 of additional payments from the insurance company. I fixed the fee schedule to apply a different factor.
Are you going to recoup the fraud? It amazes me he can't be thrown in jail for this.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:

Did you find this out at work, looking at claims data? I mean, is it possible thereís more than $320k?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:

But, but, the insurance companies are the evil, greedy ones.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Update: I requested the two Dr. appts to be downgraded in severity. The Dr. herself emailed back and refused, offering that I can pay self-pay (for the first claim it's actually less) but questioning their codes will have me dropped as a patient.
Is that legal?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Holy hell. I know one provider (oncologist) who typically sees ~40-50 patients per day and I thought that was pretty bonkers.

Also, if you're curious, you can get a peek at which drug and device companies are contributing $$$ to your doc at this link.
I found 18 people with my doctor's name, but not my PCP.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:15 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I found 18 people with my doctor's name, but not my PCP.
Oh. That just means your doc failed their boards and isnít a doc any more.

Seriously, I canít find some of my physicians either. Maybe the database isnít 100%, or maybe that implies your doc didnít receive any money, although I seem to recall I did find some docs with $0 reported.