Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:27 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Miller Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
I am 99% sure this person has NOT written other prelims.

I am unsure about the exemption part. I mean, at this point, I am 99% sure some form of exemption took place.

I am asking to see if anyone would know what the exemption was and I am really disappointed that SOA would allow such exemptions to take place.

[/sarcasm]
No, it's good it was allowed because some random teacher at some random school said the student was really good.

[/sarcasm]
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb554 View Post
[/sarcasm]
No, it's good it was allowed because some random teacher at some random school said the student was really good.

[/sarcasm]
to be fair, this person is extremely smart and has never failed a single module/exam.

4 pesky prelims would have delayed the attainment of FSA by maybe a year max.

but still.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:38 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
to be fair, this person is extremely smart and has never failed a single module/exam.

4 pesky prelims would have delayed the attainment of FSA by maybe a year max.

but still.

I think we are on the same side of this one. I'm sure the person is very smart. Given that, it would be interesting to see if she could actually pass 4 exams in a year. Too bad she never got the opportunity.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCORC
College: Université Laval

Quote:
I didn't say 'they are not a true actuary'. If CAS allows it then they are actuaries after they finish the exams. The thread asks if people are against university accreditation programs, and I think you know my opinion at this point.
Effective this month, being an ASA requires 2 more exams then it used to, of 3.5 hours and 5 hours. Also, MLC has been increased from 3h to 4h and from multiple choice to written answers a few years ago.

Should we ask people who got their ASA in 2012 to take those exams? Obviously not. SOA established that the ASA curriculum was not adequate anymore and changed it accordingly. The same way, CIA established that there might be a viable and proper way to allow candidates to replace some exam taking by creating a controlled education environment that would allow students to focus on school instead of writing exams at the same time, and they made it happen.

You arguments definitely sound like an old "ugh change is bad, kids nowadays are so lazy" more than anything else.

Quote:
[/sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
There are requirements and checks in place made by CIA, this is not just "do whatever you want". It doesn't matter if it's ridiculous "in your opinion", CIA has investigated the matter and decided that it was a proper course of action.

And by the way, actuarial exams are also just a bunch of random actuaries creating some questions and saying the student was really good. You're just making things sound the way you want them to sound.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevil View Post
Effective this month, being an ASA requires 2 more exams then it used to, of 3.5 hours and 5 hours. Also, MLC has been increased from 3h to 4h and from multiple choice to written answers a few years ago.

Should we ask people who got their ASA in 2012 to take those exams? Obviously not. SOA established that the ASA curriculum was not adequate anymore and changed it accordingly. The same way, CIA established that there might be a viable and proper way to allow candidates to replace some exam taking by creating a controlled education environment that would allow students to focus on school instead of writing exams at the same time, and they made it happen.

You arguments definitely sound like an old "ugh change is bad, kids nowadays are so lazy" more than anything else.

There are requirements and checks in place made by CIA, this is not just "do whatever you want". It doesn't matter if it's ridiculous "in your opinion", CIA has investigated the matter and decided that it was a proper course of action.

And by the way, actuarial exams are also just a bunch of random actuaries creating some questions and saying the student was really good. You're just making things sound the way you want them to sound.

As you and I both stated, this is just my opinion. If CAS wants to allow it then they can do that. You sound pretty butthurt about my opinion on this one. Assuming you already have your FCAS, enjoy it and don't worry about what a lowly SOA actuary thinks.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Assuming you already have your FCAS
He is "Studying for GHCORC"...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

I speak for SOA if they, too, keep the backdoor open. They are so shrouded in secrecy.

They don't tell you how they grade papers.

They guard IA better than the Pope.

You sign NDAs and Confidentiality agreements galore.

Prometric wont let you pick your nose.

...and PA costs $1125 -- surprise!

But teachers can pass you?

Are SOA tests difficult to take in the places they allow this? Hell, sometimes they are difficult to take here. I'm not really following why they keep this backdoor open. I'd appreciate enlightenment.

(If you ever think I am actually angry on AO, I am likely going for humor with a touch of irony)

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
I am 99% sure this person has NOT written other prelims.

I am unsure about the exemption part. I mean, at this point, I am 99% sure some form of exemption took place.

I am asking to see if anyone would know what the exemption was and I am really disappointed that SOA would allow such exemptions to take place.
If you did the UK exams you can get exemptions from SOA.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Genera...r-faculty.aspx

Worldwide Exam Centres:
https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyin...exam-centres-0

The syllabi of exams:
https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyin...anges-syllabus

Past papers and Examiners' Reports:
https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyin...miners-reports

New Curriculum in 2019:
https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/curriculum-2019
Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevil View Post
Quote:
[/sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
The problem with those requirements and checks is they don't take into account the difference between individual profs. Two different profs can teach using exactly the same syllabus and text and the level of difficulty can vary tremendously between the two classes. There is no guarantee that the same prof will teach the course from year to year (or, in the case of a large class, from section to section).

The only way to police that is to audit every course every term. And that's going to require a huge amount of volunteer time.

But there's another problem - what happens if a program is accredited by the CIA and, for whatever reason, that accreditation is withdrawn at some later date? What happens to the students who are already enrolled there - do they just get told in the middle of a term that "sorry guys but your course work no longer qualifies for credit"?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 764dak View Post
If you did the UK exams you can get exemptions from SOA.
nope, this person likely never did any UK exams.

In fact, I know 2~3 people who got their ASA this way (i.e., only took 1 prelim exam which is exam P at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015) and are all now either FSA or extremely close to being FSA.

their names don't show up at http://www.actuarial-lookup.co.uk/ at all.