Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 PM
CAS

Neat, we can measure the bias on actuarial-lookups stats.

For reference they have median time of 6.5 years.

http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/travel-times
Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM
CAS

The CAS tried to measure time from first actuarial employment to FCAS, but had trouble getting the "first hired" date.

Interesting, a lot of this is analysis the CAS used to publish for CAS students, but decided was too sensitive or something. A couple of highlights of this analysis are stll published by the CAS in an infographic somewhere. But I wonder about the methodology these people use -- there is a lot of distortion if you look at the data for "who became credentialed this year" due to changes in the number of people entering the program over time.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 AM
SOA AAA

It also measures only those who succeed at getting fellowship, ignoring all the abandoned attempts, of which there are many. And, many of those looking at this statistic will assume it applies to them. But, that isn't really the case.
Should include a statistic on percentage of people who took Exam 1 but eventually abandoned their attempt at fellowship. The issue with this is there are people still attempting, so might be hard to pin this number down. Anyone have any idea what that percentage might be? 10%?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Another instance of me bringing down the average.

10.415 years here, by this metric.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 AM
CAS

Here's what the CAS has published.

http://www.casact.org/admissions/reports/#traveltime

The last time they published the full report, in all it's data-detailed tedious glory was the 2010 report (published 2011.) More recently, they've just published some results, without tell the reader how they analyzed the data, so it's hard to tell what the results actually mean. But if they mean the same as in the last full report, they estimate that the median time to FCAS is about 8 years from when you take your first exam, and they analyzed that by looking at cohorts of people sitting for their first exam, not by restricting it to people who made it through.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
It also measures only those who succeed at getting fellowship, ignoring all the abandoned attempts, of which there are many. And, many of those looking at this statistic will assume it applies to them. But, that isn't really the case.
Should include a statistic on percentage of people who took Exam 1 but eventually abandoned their attempt at fellowship. The issue with this is there are people still attempting, so might be hard to pin this number down. Anyone have any idea what that percentage might be? 10%?
Yeah, something like "percentage of people who attempt one exam and then within 15 years become [no designation, EA is highest designation, ASA is highest designation, ACAS is highest designation, FSA is highest designation, FCAS is highest designation]" would be interesting info.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Yeah, something like "percentage of people who attempt one exam and then within 15 years become [no designation, EA is highest designation, ASA is highest designation, ACAS is highest designation, FSA is highest designation, FCAS is highest designation]" would be interesting info.
There's some stuff like that in the CAS 2010 report.

Pages 39 and 41 show many many people reached ACAS or FCAS within 5, 10, and 15 years, for instance. But the CAS data is messy because (1) a lot of the old data is missing and (2) there are a lot of candidates who sat for exam 1 and then went on to sit SoA exams. It documents somewhere in there what assumptions were made about that, but I don't remember them.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:31 PM

At my FAC about 10 years ago, the average age for a new FSA was 32 and they wanted to bring it down.

Assuming you start in college today, 8.2 years and you are probably still in your late 20s.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:42 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Miller Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
At my FAC about 10 years ago, the average age for a new FSA was 32 and they wanted to bring it down.

Assuming you start in college today, 8.2 years and you are probably still in your late 20s.
I just went to FAC this year and they said the average age was 30, so they have been able to bring the average age down a year or two.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Damn, i wish i am an exam genius...