Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
By the way, I am assuming the discount was based on nation of residence, not on actual nationality. That is, I assume a resident of the UK of Indian origin was paying the usual UK price. If that's not true, then I, too, prefer the new rule.
So you prefer assumptions made about people's incomes based on where they live rather than individuals have to show evidence of their earnings to qualify for a discount. I find this kind of thinking at odds with what actuaries do generally, even those at CAS. The direction of travel tends to be less use of crude methods.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

It's also worth pointing out, for our overseas friends, that sitting UK actuarial exams without a job is incredibly rare. I don't know what the US rules are, but to get your UK fellowship you need a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience, the UK exams aren't cheap, neither is membership of the profession. So it's more a case of UK employers subsidising overseas employers, rather than individual actuaries.

Doesn't change the position v the EU rules, but the moral argument for the old stance being discriminatory is, in the real world, pretty weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM

Hey folks! This thread is fascinating, and I've read most of it in the last hour or so. There have been many reports from this thread that we mods are wading through. It's just become too much. I think it could use a cooling off period, so I'm locking the thread for now.

Tags
acted, britain, ehrc, ifoa, racism, victimisation