Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:21 PM

On the surface, it sounds to me that the complainant is butt-hurt about failing a couple exams. Trying to create drama where none exists. If I had taken this approach, i'd have become a fellow damn quick.

Reminds me of the last time, years ago, a UK actuary came on here writing letters and trying to get everyone on board to some cause.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
One fails an exam if marks fall short of the pass marks. If there are no marks... then what, think about it
0 marks < number of marks needed to pass

In most scenarios, at least.

-Riley
Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Disclosing marks is a legal requirement under section 7 of the Data Protection Act.
See. This is the sort of thing that needs expansion. Under whose interpretation of the DPA are exam results legally required to be disclosed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
See. This is the sort of thing that needs expansion. Under whose interpretation of the DPA are exam results legally required to be disclosed?
Information Commissioner's Office. Will that do for you?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Are you stating IFoA didn't have marks for anyone for that exam- where's your evidence of that please.
I'm stating that the complainant doesn't show that a marks analysis is available to anyone who sat and failed the SA2 exam. And that's a pretty major assumption underlying the complaint's argument--that a marks analysis is available to exam takers who fail.

Whether someone marked the exam isn't really relevant here; the exam could have been marked, but exam taker may not be entitled to the marks themselves, nor to an analysis of the marks that leads to the failing score. If that's the case, the IFoA would have nothing to send him/her with respect to a marks analysis.

And If no one can get an analysis for their failed SA2 exam script, then the complainant hasn't been denied anything that anyone else would be entitled to. It's understandably frustrating, but not unfair or unjust.

Just because a marks analysis is available for the CA3 exam, that doesn't mean that one is available for the SA2.

The complainant needs to argue that such an analysis is normally available to candidates who fail the SA2 exam. No such argument is in the complaint, as far as I can see, nor is there any evidence that such a thing is available for the SA2.

I think we can all understand his frustration--most exam takers have failed an exam or two without knowing how or why. But that doesn't mean he's got a legal cause of action. Hopefully "abuse of process" and "vexatious litigation" aren't things in the UK like they are in the US. But from what you've presented, it sounds like he's got a judicial spanking in the works.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens

Last edited by Enough Exams Already; 06-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Information Commissioner's Office. Will that do for you?
link?
Quote:
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
I'm stating that the complainant doesn't show that a marks analysis is available to anyone who sat and failed the SA2 exam. And that's a pretty major assumption underlying the complaint's argument--that a marks analysis is available to exam takers who fail.

Whether someone marked the exam isn't really relevant here; the exam could have been marked, but exam taker may not be entitled to the marks themselves, nor to an analysis of the marks that leads to the failing score. If that's the case, the IFoA would have nothing to send him/her with respect to a marks analysis.

And If no one can get an analysis for their failed SA2 exam script, then the complainant hasn't been denied anything that anyone else would be entitled to. It's understandably frustrating, but not unfair or unjust.

Just because a marks analysis is available for the CA3 exam, that doesn't mean that one is available for the SA2.

The complainant needs to argue that such an analysis is normally available to candidates who fail the SA2 exam. No such argument is in the complaint, as far as I can see, nor is there any evidence that such a thing is available for the SA2.

I think we can all understand his frustration--most exam takers have failed an exam or two without knowing how or why. But that doesn't mea he's got a legal cause of action. Hopefully "abuse of process" and "vexatious litigation" aren't things in the UK like they are in the US. But from what you've presented, it sounds like he's got a judicial spanking in the works.
Section 7 of Data Protection Act is the answer to all that. You should educate yourself more on the Law before accusing people of being vexatious.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
link?
Ever heard of google?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of google?
Right. I'm out. If you've no intention on helping anyone understand the issue then you're just trolling.
Quote:
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Right. I'm out. If you've no intention on helping anyone understand the issue then you're just trolling.
I thought actuaries would be capable of googling...
Closed Thread

Tags
acted, britain, ehrc, ifoa, racism, victimisation