Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Clearly I shouldn't even be reading this thread. I previously found out who Derik Cribb is, but who is Karen Brocklesby?
She's been the IfoA registrar for quite a while now.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
You dont seem to understand how MR works in Europe.

Just because you are qualified in France does not mean you can use that to become qualified in the UK automatically.

Under EU rules, the UK body (IfoA) needs to approve the application, and if you look at the log of the EU council regarding these things, they do in fact deny these applications from time to time.
I do understand how MR works in Europe. I was referring to point 3a of the OP's claim: that conferring FIA* under MR, on someone who hasn't passed the UK exams (specifically CA3 and the SA series), is indirectly discriminatory against UK students. I don't know what stage the claim is at, but someone must think there is at least an arguable case. I am not sure that aspect of the claim will succeed, not least because there is an experience requirement for MR in addition to the basic qualification, but it could be significant if it does - although since in Europe MR is largely driven by EU requirements, Brexit could throw it all up in the air again for the IFoA.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
CAS SOA

Well, I don't disagree with the logic. The UK exam system is by far the toughest in the world, so if you take a practical view of this, you will usually have a problem anytime an applicant from a 2nd tier exam country (US, Canada, Australia etc..) tries to use MR to gain FIA status. FTR, I consider EU countries to be 3rd tier, and in these cases, the MR application can present serious issues unless the applicant has vast professional experience to paper over the lack of professional exams standards.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Well, I don't disagree with the logic. The UK exam system is by far the toughest in the world, so if you take a practical view of this, you will usually have a problem anytime an applicant from a 2nd tier exam country (US, Canada, Australia etc..) tries to use MR to gain FIA status. FTR, I consider EU countries to be 3rd tier, and in these cases, the MR application can present serious issues unless the applicant has vast professional experience to paper over the lack of professional exams standards.
Now I know who you're an alt for
Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM

College: Imperial

For those interested, I have edited the 1st post to include the following email

Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Good thing SOA has such lax MR standards that it can paper over a complete lack of professional exams then, eh?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post

I think it's fair to say that what the IFoA did in 2012 is contrary to their stated 2018 position. The point unanswered is whether what they did in 2012 was in line with their 2012 position, and, if not, if that was malicious.
And, judging by IFoA staff's unfamiliarity with the Act as per the 2012 email, I'm increasingly inclined to believe they didn't have a stated 2012 position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The Statement of Actuarial Opinion that the UK exam system is by far the toughest in the world is one only held by UK Actuaries who don't even know that the SOA/CAS exist; have never viewed the US syllabi, let alone made any objective comparison about it.

When asked to justify the assertions, the best I have ever heard is: "erm... but you guys don't have a communication exam!"

Says volumes about the general quality of UK actuaries...

(And for those who have FCAS friends, ask them to go through the UK GI Fellowship syllabus and listen to them scoff)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
And, judging by IFoA staff's unfamiliarity with the Act as per the 2012 email, I'm increasingly inclined to believe they didn't have a stated 2012 position.
Yeah, the more that is revealed the harder it becomes to believe there was ever anything malicious going on at all.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:52 PM

Do we have the result of the case yet?

Tags
derek cribb, ifoa, karen brocklesby, suzie lyons, victimisation