Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 PM
CAS SOA

College: Iowa State University Graduate

Anybody know if we'll get instant results with this sitting?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RannowA View Post
Anybody know if we'll get instant results with this sitting?
The IFM syllabus has the same line the MFE syllabus did after the changes last July:
"Because of the changed nature of this exam, results will no longer be instantaneous (at least for the next few sessions) since post-exam analysis will be required by the examination committee. Instead, results will be released on the SOA website about 8 weeks after each testing window ends."

My expectation is that instant results will not return until July 2019 at the earliest for IFM, and Oct 2019 at the earliest for STAM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

None of the new exams are going to have instant results. Harder workload and less time between exams (waiting 8 weeks for exam results before moving on to next exam) for hopeful ASAs now.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM
SOA

College: CFA Institute, GARP

Hello everyone.

Just passed P (last week) and now contemplating what to do next.

After going through the syllabus of Exam IFM, I think that, not only I have studied everything before (I have 3 professional qualifications i.e. CFA, FRM and ACCA), I practice the concepts on a daily basis - at least the corporate finance part (I am a corporate finance/investment professional with 11+ years's experience). I request opinions on the following questions.

- Considering my background, should I go for IFM July 2018 attempt?
- If I do and get passed, I would have two choices, attempt STAM or LTAM in October 2018 (only 3 months from July). Is it practical to prepare for STAM or LTAM in 3 months (considering that I dont have a particularly strong maths/stats background)?
- What is the minimum required time (to prepare) and the right order (which one to attempt first) for STAM and LTAM?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: school of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamran124 View Post
Hello everyone.

Just passed P (last week) and now contemplating what to do next.

After going through the syllabus of Exam IFM, I think that, not only I have studied everything before (I have 3 professional qualifications i.e. CFA, FRM and ACCA), I practice the concepts on a daily basis - at least the corporate finance part (I am a corporate finance/investment professional with 11+ years's experience). I request opinions on the following questions.

- Considering my background, should I go for IFM July 2018 attempt?
- If I do and get passed, I would have two choices, attempt STAM or LTAM in October 2018 (only 3 months from July). Is it practical to prepare for STAM or LTAM in 3 months (considering that I dont have a particularly strong maths/stats background)?
- What is the minimum required time (to prepare) and the right order (which one to attempt first) for STAM and LTAM?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
You're probably not getting an answer on how much time you need to study for Stam and ltam because likely no one here has started studying for it. Just assumr it's like c and you're looking about approx 1.5x the study time of p.

Whether or not it's possible to pass an exam in three months also depends on you. It's a pretty comfortable about if tune to study for anything imo, even with a full time job. Same goes if you want to try to study for ifm in two months.

Doesn't matter whether you take ltam or Stam first. Just look at the syllabi and see what you want to try first

Modules
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 PM
SOA

How's everyone doing in your prep?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesss View Post
How's everyone doing in your prep?
Rented the Corporate Finance book through Amazon, so I'm reading through that while doing problems from the derivatives sections. Hoping to finish the reading over the long weekend, so that I can do nothing but problems from next week on. How's everyone else doing?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torene View Post
Rented the Corporate Finance book through Amazon, so I'm reading through that while doing problems from the derivatives sections. Hoping to finish the reading over the long weekend, so that I can do nothing but problems from next week on. How's everyone else doing?
Failed the March MFE sitting with a 5. Gone through a couple sections of old material. Going to spend this weekend powering through all of the material (old and new) then doing problems after then. Pretty much same as you. 20+ hours of videos and pausing to take notes is not going to be fun.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:19 PM
SOA

clawing my way through capital structure and D/E ratio.. but I guess everything would be easier come the latter part of the review (ASM user here!)
Predictive Analytics
Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 PM
SOA

Can anyone recommend additional resources to understand delta-hedging? I'm currently using TIA. Right now i'm just going through the motions of solving the exercises the way the solutions lay out and and ingraining that into my muscle memory, but I don't feel that is effective. Thanks.