Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Serious answer, if she is really concerned about purchasing power. She should build up a stock of food. And, if she's up to the work involved, put in a garden. Then at least she doesn't have to worry about starving.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'a'carn View Post
Payouts are not surrendarable, so probably nothing can be done for this particular one. Have her talk to the company and see whether they would put a CPI adjustment to the benefit, of course the benefit would be decreased first, but I doubt that would happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Serious answer, if she is really concerned about purchasing power. She should build up a stock of food. And, if she's up to the work involved, put in a garden. Then at least she doesn't have to worry about starving.
Thank you both for these very practical ideas.

Before anyone throws a at JMO, doing something physically and tangibly constructive does a lot for peace of mind in general.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
Yes, but that's not the situation. The annuity was purchased several years ago. Time has passed, and now there is a desire to hedge the existing annuity against devaluation of the greenback.
In other words, how does she put the toothpaste back in the tube.

I figure she'd have to find a way to sell the stream of payments to somebody else, like how some companies will buy the future payout of a life insurance policy from an elderly or ill person. Then she can take that lump sum and use some of it to buy gold, or an annuity in euros.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Does she have a lot of equity in a home? If so, do a cash out refinance into a 30 year mortgage with a fixed payment that is the same size or smaller than the monthly payment of the annuity. Now she has a fixed income and a fixed outgo, and a big pile of cash. Invest the cash in inflation sensitive assets - TIPs would be the most conservative, but could also get into floating rate loans, commodities, equities that are based on real goods (P&G, General Mills, etc), foreign assets which wouldn't suffer from dollar destruction.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Student View Post
Does she have a lot of equity in a home? If so, do a cash out refinance into a 30 year mortgage with a fixed payment that is the same size or smaller than the monthly payment of the annuity.
If she and her husband are not working she won't be able to get a mortgage, unless the annuity proceeds provide enough income to qualify. But she could get a reverse mortgage.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 AM
SOA

Studying for AFE
Favorite beer: Heiny

Go for a viatical policy settlement
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

TIPS, she could invest in TIPS. TIPS pay a low coupon ( <2% I think) but the principal accretes at the CPI.

Her social security benefits are indexed to CPI presently.

Seems odd that given we had 0% CPI last year and were at risk, and still may be at risk, for deflation she's worried about hyperinflation. It's also odd that she she's worried about inflation via dollar value decline instead of inflation directly. The value of the dollar relative to other currencies is impacted by lots of things. For example, everything else constant, there could be inflation in the US and the dollar strengthens against the Euro if there is also inflation in the Eurozone.

I don't know if there are CPI indexed annuities. She could sell the annuity but given the low yield curve environment, illiquid secondary market, and the risk of anti-selection she'd take a bath.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ed+annu&aqi=g1
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.

Last edited by Jack; 10-14-2009 at 12:17 PM..
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

several carriers have cpi indexed annuites, but selling the one she has (AND getting a fair value) is unlikely to happen.