Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHSPEC
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Agreed. I spent a good amount of LFV study time researching why I shouldn’t be an actuary.

OTOH, once I become an FSA, I’ll want everyone else to endure the same degree of suffering.
That's kind of my point. The exams should test knowledge. They shouldn't be a hazing process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
That's kind of my point. The exams should test knowledge. They shouldn't be a hazing process.
I agree with this, but I don't think its even quite accurate to describe it as a hazing process. If it was just meant to limit the amount of supply of actuaries, then I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. If the goal was to only let through the top 30% of actuarial talent, then so be it. But I don't in practice see that happening. When you have an exam like GHSPC, where candidates who felt they did very well are not passing AND candidates that felt they had to guess or didn't know the material are passing, you have a problem. The correlation between mastery of the material and passing is getting lower and that isn't a good thing.

Again I think the goal of the exam process should be to provide basic learning that is universal across the track. The more troubling thing for me as an actuary, is the high number of FSAs I come across with little to no understanding of what value an actuary should be providing and mastery of their field. I want to be proud as an actuary that my peers are examples of excellence. I can tell you from my own 11+ years in the field, I am just as likely to come across an ASA or non-actuary working in the field providing actuarial value as an FSA. When I am hiring actuaries into my team, the FSA/ASA distinction means close to nothing to me. I am getting my FSA because it is a personal challenge and I know many other hiring actuaries don't view that distinction the way I do, but having been through this exam process (and almost done) I can now see the large cracks in the process.

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post
I agree with this, but I don't think its even quite accurate to describe it as a hazing process. If it was just meant to limit the amount of supply of actuaries, then I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. If the goal was to only let through the top 30% of actuarial talent, then so be it. But I don't in practice see that happening. When you have an exam like GHSPC, where candidates who felt they did very well are not passing AND candidates that felt they had to guess or didn't know the material are passing, you have a problem. The correlation between mastery of the material and passing is getting lower and that isn't a good thing.
Maybe the problem isn't with the exam, but with faulty and inconsistent self-assessments.

A day or two after the exam, I could usually accurately predict whether or not I had passed.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Maybe the problem isn't with the exam, but with faulty and inconsistent self-assessments.

A day or two after the exam, I could usually accurately predict whether or not I had passed.
So, you are saying you can accurately self-assess but the majority of candidates can’t? Don’t hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. This is what drives me nuts about our profession too. Older FSAs will do everything they can to make it seem like the process isn’t broken and convince everyone it’s somehow easier than when they went through.

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 07-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

"Older FSAs"

FWIW, I am no longer an FSA. And I'm not claiming the exams are great, just sharing my personal experience.

Also, see this thread - http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ht=Lesson+fair

People taking exams have been complaining about them for a long, long time.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

Spoiler:
Quote:
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Quote:
MORE:
Quote:
Quote:
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:32 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
"Older FSAs"

FWIW, I am no longer an FSA. And I'm not claiming the exams are great, just sharing my personal experience.

Also, see this thread - http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ht=Lesson+fair

People taking exams have been complaining about them for a long, long time.
That thread sums up what I hate about old actuaries. “Kids these days just don’t study hard enough!” Gues what idiots? Exams are harder today and have more competition. Actuaries aren’t just backroom calculators anymore. How about actually listening to legitimate feedback on how to improve instead of just calling criticism, “crying”?

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Quote:
That thread sums up what I hate about old actuaries. “Kids these days just don’t study hard enough!” Gues what idiots? Exams are harder today and have more competition. Actuaries aren’t just backroom calculators anymore. How about actually listening to legitimate feedback on how to improve instead of just calling criticism, “crying”?
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Spoiler:
Quote:
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Quote:
MORE:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
Thank goodness you are a dying breed. Pasture is that way.

Quote:
what's a JAS
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Bell's Expedition Stout

JMO, get a hobby in retirement that isn't spreading your objectively bad opinion across this board
Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:

It probably depends on the exam. In order to fail 50% of extremely capable test-takers, the FSA exams need to be either very difficult or else graded in a very unforgiving manner. In the latter case, you can walk out feeling good, but still fail.

Quote:
I am just as likely to come across an ASA or non-actuary working in the field providing value as an FSA.
Right. This is really the point of the thread. When I think of attributes of a stellar actuary, the FSA exams do not distinguish or provide them.

Part of the problem is that I think the aim is too low.
Quote:
I think the goal of the exam process should be to provide basic learning that is universal across the track.
Most of us already have a basic level of insurance knowledge by the time we are ASAs. With a thousand hours of studying, we definitely have a basic level of insurance knowledge.

But again, 50% of us need to fail each exam. In order to make that happen, the exam has to test something more. Since we don't have any new goal, the exam just expands in breadth: memorize this text book, memorize that text book, learn these lists, this equation, those numbers. "Grasp of basic knowledge" becomes "perfect-recall of endless trivia.". "Useful understanding" becomes a savant like obsession over exact wording.

To be clear: I'm not advocating that we make the exams easier, or that we do away with knowledge based testing.

Rather, I think we should practice basic knowledge, and then train other skills much harder.

What other skills?
Ability to read and apply regulations
Analytical writing
Presentation
Leadership
Critical thinking
Creative problem solving
Technical skills
Accounting/Finances
____Fill in the blank___

In short, I think the exams represent a massive investment of capital in something that nobody really cares about.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-21-2018 at 01:49 PM..