Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post

S/he/it seems to have missed some common rhetorical devices and has trouble making a coherent point, so probably yes?
also a Trump supporter, so probably yes on that account. So why does he care so much about the troubles of people who have English as a 2nd language?
Spoiler:
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
compare the last names and tell me if one exam is only a little more quantitative than the other.
Can you please explain what the last names have to do with anything? I didn't realize the last name Smith could be more/less quantitative than Roberts or any other last name.

Also, what does someone's last name have to do with their English skills?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Non-Actuary

I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Many SOA exam candidates from China prefer QFI track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Many SOA exam candidates from China prefer QFI track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Contrast that with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by not said by secondlife
I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Not many SOA exam candidates from China prefer the North American retirement track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Neither alone is racist. Stating both and then ignoring the simple explanation that there likely are few North American retirement jobs in China, well, maybe that is just inability to see more than zero moves ahead.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Contrast that with:

Neither alone is racist. Stating both and then ignoring the simple explanation that there likely are few North American retirement jobs in China, well, maybe that is just inability to see more than zero moves ahead.
it took a whole lotta posts for someone to state this simple and obvious explanation.
Spoiler:
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
Start by telling us why you think that "racism" is in question to begin with.

Your statement is like coming up to someone and saying "some people say that you're lazy." If you're saying it, then you must believe that the statement has some validity to is. Why do you feel that way?
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
It's about time.
Fake rage quits are his thing. He'll be back.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Gotta love the deep racial stereotypes underpinning the whole premise
Actually I disagree. I think the OP is not necessarily racist, and even correct up to a point.

The problem the OP is describing is the result of a foreign countries having:
-Less $$$
-Large population
-Speaks a different language

Add those 3 things up and you get a lot of immigrants who come looking for analytical jobs, and who start failing when those jobs ask for an extra skill that the rest of us learned as babies.

That said: I think the OP is wrong in feeling like an FSA is necessary, like a 6 figure salary is something to be ashamed of. Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
yes, absolutely.

for most leadership positions, communication > technical skills.
If English is important for leadership positions, then maybe it shouldn't be the first exam.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Actually I disagree. I think the OP is not necessarily racist, and even correct up to a point.

-Less $$$
-Large population

Add those 3 things up and you get a lot of immigrants who come looking for analytical jobs, and who start failing when those jobs ask for an extra skill that the rest of us learned as babies.

That said: I think the OP is wrong in feeling like an FSA is necessary, like a 6 figure salary is something to be ashamed of. Also...

If English is important for leadership positions, then maybe it shouldn't be the first exam.
Maybe OP wants English as the first exam to get rid of many candidates.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post

-Less $$$
-Large population

He was using "Asian sounding last name" as a proxy for first being Asian. He then took the next step that if the person is Asian (based on his proxy variable) they must be good at math, but bad at English (relative to someone who isn't Asian). Therefore if we see a particular exam passing list with a large number of Asian sounding last names relative to another exam that must imply mathy but poorly speaking Asian people are drawn to it, which he then concludes is a bad thing that needs fixing.

I think just starting at the using "Asian sounding last name" as a proxy variable for being Asian as a proxy variable for being good at math but bad at English gets you pretty close to the racism label and is pretty far away from the sort of analysis a supposedly successful actuary would be happy putting his name on, before we even get to the question of whether this result can be deemed a problem that needs fixing.