Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #141  
Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 PM
ao fan's Avatar
ao fan ao fan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hating the ao
Posts: 102,738
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post


S/he/it seems to have missed some common rhetorical devices and has trouble making a coherent point, so probably yes?
also a Trump supporter, so probably yes on that account. So why does he care so much about the troubles of people who have English as a 2nd language?
__________________
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by cuteness!!!!
Spoiler:
awesome, crazy, badass maltese (compliments of booger):
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 PM
temisart's Avatar
temisart temisart is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Yes
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
compare the last names and tell me if one exam is only a little more quantitative than the other.
Can you please explain what the last names have to do with anything? I didn't realize the last name Smith could be more/less quantitative than Roberts or any other last name.

Also, what does someone's last name have to do with their English skills?
__________________
P FM MFE C ST OC1 LC OC2 5 6
VEE
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 PM
secondlife secondlife is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,440
Default

I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Many SOA exam candidates from China prefer QFI track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Colymbosathon ecplecticos's Avatar
Colymbosathon ecplecticos Colymbosathon ecplecticos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Many SOA exam candidates from China prefer QFI track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Contrast that with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by not said by secondlife
I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Not many SOA exam candidates from China prefer the North American retirement track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Neither alone is racist. Stating both and then ignoring the simple explanation that there likely are few North American retirement jobs in China, well, maybe that is just inability to see more than zero moves ahead.
__________________
"What do you mean I don't have the prerequisites for this class? I've failed it twice before!"


"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 PM
ao fan's Avatar
ao fan ao fan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hating the ao
Posts: 102,738
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Contrast that with:



Neither alone is racist. Stating both and then ignoring the simple explanation that there likely are few North American retirement jobs in China, well, maybe that is just inability to see more than zero moves ahead.
it took a whole lotta posts for someone to state this simple and obvious explanation.
__________________
Be prepared to be overwhelmed by cuteness!!!!
Spoiler:
awesome, crazy, badass maltese (compliments of booger):
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 PM
DoctorNo's Avatar
DoctorNo DoctorNo is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Denver, CO
College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder
Posts: 13,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondlife View Post
I've heard an EE volunteer saying: "Many SOA exam candidates from China prefer QFI track". It sounds like stating a fact, but is it racist?
Start by telling us why you think that "racism" is in question to begin with.

Your statement is like coming up to someone and saying "some people say that you're lazy." If you're saying it, then you must believe that the statement has some validity to is. Why do you feel that way?
__________________
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
It's about time.
Fake rage quits are his thing. He'll be back.
__________________
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the US Flag and carrying a Cross.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 6,603
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Gotta love the deep racial stereotypes underpinning the whole premise
Actually I disagree. I think the OP is not necessarily racist, and even correct up to a point.


The problem the OP is describing is the result of a foreign countries having:
-Less $$$
-Large population
-Speaks a different language


Add those 3 things up and you get a lot of immigrants who come looking for analytical jobs, and who start failing when those jobs ask for an extra skill that the rest of us learned as babies.





That said: I think the OP is wrong in feeling like an FSA is necessary, like a 6 figure salary is something to be ashamed of. Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
yes, absolutely.

for most leadership positions, communication > technical skills.
If English is important for leadership positions, then maybe it shouldn't be the first exam.
__________________
Sredni Vashtar went forth,
His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM
764dak's Avatar
764dak 764dak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Actually I disagree. I think the OP is not necessarily racist, and even correct up to a point.


The problem the OP is describing is the result of a foreign countries having:
-Less $$$
-Large population
-Speaks a different language


Add those 3 things up and you get a lot of immigrants who come looking for analytical jobs, and who start failing when those jobs ask for an extra skill that the rest of us learned as babies.





That said: I think the OP is wrong in feeling like an FSA is necessary, like a 6 figure salary is something to be ashamed of. Also...

If English is important for leadership positions, then maybe it shouldn't be the first exam.
Maybe OP wants English as the first exam to get rid of many candidates.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 AM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Actually I disagree. I think the OP is not necessarily racist, and even correct up to a point.


The problem the OP is describing is the result of a foreign countries having:
-Less $$$
-Large population
-Speaks a different language


Add those 3 things up and you get a lot of immigrants who come looking for analytical jobs, and who start failing when those jobs ask for an extra skill that the rest of us learned as babies.





That said: I think the OP is wrong in feeling like an FSA is necessary, like a 6 figure salary is something to be ashamed of. Also...

If English is important for leadership positions, then maybe it shouldn't be the first exam.
He was using "Asian sounding last name" as a proxy for first being Asian. He then took the next step that if the person is Asian (based on his proxy variable) they must be good at math, but bad at English (relative to someone who isn't Asian). Therefore if we see a particular exam passing list with a large number of Asian sounding last names relative to another exam that must imply mathy but poorly speaking Asian people are drawn to it, which he then concludes is a bad thing that needs fixing.

I think just starting at the using "Asian sounding last name" as a proxy variable for being Asian as a proxy variable for being good at math but bad at English gets you pretty close to the racism label and is pretty far away from the sort of analysis a supposedly successful actuary would be happy putting his name on, before we even get to the question of whether this result can be deemed a problem that needs fixing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.52876 seconds with 11 queries