Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 PM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

Passed! Only got to earned level 4.0 on CA and pretty much always referred to the formula sheet for help. The exam seemed to consist of almost entirely level 3-5 questions. Over the past month, I took 13 CA practice exams and then 10 quizzes on specific sections where I was weak.

Good luck to everyone sitting tomorrow or on 7/4.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:54 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Failed. I was up to 6.4 EL this time, so I was confident that I had prepared enough. I honestly think I'm getting more difficult exams. The questions were mostly level 5.5 and higher from what I had seen in Adapt exams. Looks like another sitting. Congrats to those who passed.

P • FM • IFM • STAM • LTAM • SRM • PA
VEEs
FAP 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • IA • 6 • 7 • 8 • FA
APC
Planned FSA Track:

Page generated in 0.29904 seconds with 11 queries

Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Free help & review sessions

I'm continuing my free Zoom help & review sessions every Thursday at 5 California time, now for the October sitting. Info is in my thread "Is anyone interested..." at the top of the STAM forum; you can request topics, download some free videos, et cetera. If you failed, maybe these could be of help. As Trump said, what have you got to lose?
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 07-06-2020, 03:40 PM
SOA

College: PSU Alumni

Passed on the 4th!

Honestly, maybe I just was over prepared, but I didn’t think it was too bad at all. Probably closer level 4-5.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Illinois
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

I got to a level 5.6 on ADAPT and didn't pass again. Very disappointing as I got a 5 on my previous sitting, so I was sure this would be a pass. I've realized that the last two sittings have been different from any previous sitting, in that the questions they ask greatly differ from what I've seen in ADAPT. There were about 15 questions I was unsure on, with 3 being just very random topics that were "immediate skips" and the rest being topics where I was very familiar with the concepts but the questions had some sort of weird caveat or algebraic manipulation required that I had not seen before in all my prep. I'm not sure if there's a way to tackle this issue, but I welcome any suggestions anyone has!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:41 PM
SOA

College: PSU Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM_Vic View Post
I got to a level 5.6 on ADAPT and didn't pass again. Very disappointing as I got a 5 on my previous sitting, so I was sure this would be a pass. I've realized that the last two sittings have been different from any previous sitting, in that the questions they ask greatly differ from what I've seen in ADAPT. There were about 15 questions I was unsure on, with 3 being just very random topics that were "immediate skips" and the rest being topics where I was very familiar with the concepts but the questions had some sort of weird caveat or algebraic manipulation required that I had not seen before in all my prep. I'm not sure if there's a way to tackle this issue, but I welcome any suggestions anyone has!
I’ve found the SOA sample questions to really be the best resource available. Wording on those is the most similar to that of the actual test and definitely picked up a few tricks and such through them.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:11 PM
SOA

Anyone know when we can expect official results since they extended the window?
SRM: [X]
STAM: [X]
FAP Modules: []
Old Today, 12:05 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM_Vic View Post
I failed IFM twice even I think I prepared good enough with good results. I think to beat the real exam with different wording, we don't need to cram on a lot of formulas, but we need to understand how to get there and what are the assumptions behind. I myself never finish the practice exam on A/S/M on time, but in the real exam I have 1 hour left, and I don't see any twists or unfamiliar concepts.

Good luck on the next try!

Tags
covid-19, stam