Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
I knew this thread was in trouble as soon as CS mentioned income inequality. You know that is effectively the bat signal for Jas?
Sorry I only venture in political if I want to make a parody thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:25 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I actually think progressive policies like increased access to education and investments in public transportation aren't implemented because rich people are "being nice" to poor people or desire wealth equality of any sort. They actually stem from a selfish desire to increase their own personal wealth, because educated citizens are just way more productive as employees and more spendy as consumers.

From the perspective of the rich:

1) Your employees can't do jack shit if they aren't educated, so they produce less (less income for you)
2) People who are poor can't buy stuff from you (less income for you)

I view these policies as investments in human capital rather than a right that people are entitled to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 10-16-2017 at 08:33 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM
CAS

They're still running classical linear models in Excel?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I actually think progressive policies like increased access to education and investments in public transportation aren't implemented because rich people are "being nice" to poor people or desire wealth equality of any sort. They actually stem from a selfish desire to increase their own personal wealth, because educated citizens are just way more productive as employees and more spendy as consumers.
, and any argument in favor of these sorts of policies as a sort of "gift" will fall on deaf ears (except for those who expect to get a handout). Such as free college education, gotta include subject & GPA caveats to make it sound economically and then suddenly we can actually give people opportunity and be happy to pay for it. Policies based on "the goodness of people" are never going to stick.