Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:47 PM
CAS

Default Exam 5 Passers --- Mahler Manual Question

To those of you who've passed 5 and used the Mahler manual - how far back did you go when working the exam questions. There are so many that it's a bit overwhelming. I don't want to skip too much and regret it, but dude has +25 years of problems! If I went through them all, I'll be taking the exam in 2019. So...what's a good cutoff, maybe last 10-15 years worth?

I guess it's a good problem considering the alternative of not having enough.

Thanks for the input!
GP
Old 02-20-2018, 04:16 PM
CAS

Are you using Mahler exclusively?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM
CAS

College: UW-Stevens Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Peach View Post
To those of you who've passed 5 and used the Mahler manual - how far back did you go when working the exam questions. There are so many that it's a bit overwhelming. I don't want to skip too much and regret it, but dude has +25 years of problems! If I went through them all, I'll be taking the exam in 2019. So...what's a good cutoff, maybe last 10-15 years worth?

I guess it's a good problem considering the alternative of not having enough.

Thanks for the input!
GP
I did the starred and underlined problems in the sequence he recommended, which he discusses in the intro.

The starred problems, in particular, are a good metric to ensure you understand the material.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinroltgen View Post
I did the starred and underlined problems in the sequence he recommended, which he discusses in the intro.

The starred problems, in particular, are a good metric to ensure you understand the material.
Source readings plus past exams are what I've been using.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM
CAS

redearedslider - I'm using the source material and Mahler for problems for the ratemaking section.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:34 PM
CAS

On another note, is anyone annoyed with the new ereader that we are being forced to use to access the Mahler manual? I understand they're trying to protect DRMs and whatnot but why coudnt they just stick with Adobe?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmin012 View Post
On another note, is anyone annoyed with the new ereader that we are being forced to use to access the Mahler manual? I understand they're trying to protect DRMs and whatnot but why coudnt they just stick with Adobe?
Yeah it's extremely annoying. I emailed them and got a canned response about how this is how it is now and we're sorry if you don't like the change.

Have you started doing problems? I'm trying to do all the problems regardless of underline/starred, excluding the italicized ones and some are really difficult. It took me two days to get past the exposures chapter and really understand it, and then I got to premiums problem 1 and just wanted to shoot myself as I had absolutely no idea how to start it.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: FSU Alumni

I had a major problem getting the Actex manual since I just got for a supplement to Infinite Actuary. I gave up trying to install the reader and offline thing to print out the manual which only let's you print 30% so I ordered the paper manual since I want the whole thing. I asked them to fix my order to paper or give me my money back and perhaps shouldn't do it this way as it's aggravating to the consumer to install a bunch of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmin012 View Post