Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Which is better ASM or Mahler's note

Hi, For those of you that have some experience with both or can talk about both can you please help. My company is not funding the manuals and the ASM is much cheaper than Mahler so I'm inclined to go with the ASM but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Please Help? Thanks Trish
Old 01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
SOA

I found Mahler to be much better and it is great if for independent study. He knows his stuff, spells out everything in easy-to-understand language, and provides lots of practice problems. If you can devote the time to Mahler's thick manuals, you don't even need to BUY the textbooks. (Seriously, I passed Course 4 without buying a single one of the "required" texts.) Biggest drawback: Not as many people buy Mahler and it is hard to get questions answered by posting them. But Mahler is quite responsive if you email him your questions directly or address your post to him.

However, ASM seems to be the standard. Most everyone buys this manual, and most of the questions that are posted are from ASM. If you are someone who needs to post lots of questions and often needs help from other students, this may be better for you. Two biggest drawbacks: ASM seems to have tons of mistakes and I found that to be very confusing. There also aren't nearly as many practice problems in ASM.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?