Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US (old Part 7U)
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevmac123 View Post
Can't remember if anyone has asked about this one yet: #10 part C

Briefly describe two reasons an actuary might be involved in the allocation of expenses to line of business.

I said they would be familiar with the risk loads required for each line, and that since it's subjective the more people giving opinions the better.

I feel better about the first reason than the second, but can't find it in the material anywhere.
I think i said something like you can use ptojected ultimate loses to allocate expenses to an lob. An actuary develops the ultimates. I dont remember what the other point i put
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC
College: Someplace far far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO_Throwaway_Acct View Post
Q19c) "Fully describe one reason the treatment of bonds under SAP accounting may be in conflict with the general philosophy of SAP accounting"

Any thoughts? I remember I put something that seemed like at least partial credit, but I was definitely winging it. I think I put something like,

"Unlike GAAP, SAP valuation depends on the class of the bond. SAP is primarily focused on liquidity of assets, not credit risk, so that the company can pay claims. It is possible that a lower-class bond can still easily be sold for cash, so it could make more sense to value bonds more similarly to GAAP, which values bonds based on whether they're intended to be held or traded."

I'm not sure how valid that is. (I'm also guessing I didn't word it quite as nicely on the exam.)

IIR i said something along the lines of since SAP allows a company to value it's bonds using their own approach (prudent person), a bond which otherwise might be selling for way lower on the open market might be carried at a higher amount by the company thereby giving a false sense of high worth blah blah. Man, I just free-styled on like a 1000 Questions
Old 05-09-2018, 11:06 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC

Quote:
Can't remember if anyone has asked about this one yet: #10 part C

Briefly describe two reasons an actuary might be involved in the allocation of expenses to line of business.

I said they would be familiar with the risk loads required for each line, and that since it's subjective the more people giving opinions the better.

I feel better about the first reason than the second, but can't find it in the material anywhere.
1) They are able to use it as a source of bench marking to make more informed decisions about the adequacy of pricing in a particular LOB, 2) helps to also make any necessary adj to reserves they may have but up for a LOB.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 AM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO_Throwaway_Acct View Post
Q19c) "Fully describe one reason the treatment of bonds under SAP accounting may be in conflict with the general philosophy of SAP accounting"

Any thoughts? I remember I put something that seemed like at least partial credit, but I was definitely winging it. I think I put something like,

"Unlike GAAP, SAP valuation depends on the class of the bond. SAP is primarily focused on liquidity of assets, not credit risk, so that the company can pay claims. It is possible that a lower-class bond can still easily be sold for cash, so it could make more sense to value bonds more similarly to GAAP, which values bonds based on whether they're intended to be held or traded."

I'm not sure how valid that is. (I'm also guessing I didn't word it quite as nicely on the exam.)
I said along the line of that higher grade bonds are valued at amortized costs and the lower grade bonds are valued at min of amortized and fair value costs. SAP is liquidation based and wants to know how much the company's worth if it's liquidated. Amortized costs might not necessarily reflect the values at which the bonds are sold/liquidated at.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I said along the line of that higher grade bonds are valued at amortized costs and the lower grade bonds are valued at min of amortized and fair value costs. SAP is liquidation based and wants to know how much the company's worth if it's liquidated. Amortized costs might not necessarily reflect the values at which the bonds are sold/liquidated at.
This definitely makes sense; wish i could have carried my idea across much better lol...ah well
Old 05-09-2018, 11:18 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC

I know there has been much mention about Q14; what exactly is the solution?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:19 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 6
Favorite beer: CBC Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratches2k5 View Post
1) They are able to use it as a source of bench marking to make more informed decisions about the adequacy of pricing in a particular LOB, 2) helps to also make any necessary adj to reserves they may have but up for a LOB.
That's interesting. I interpreted the question as asking why an actuary would be involved in the actual process of allocating the expenses, not what they use the allocations for.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:34 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC

Quote:
That's interesting. I interpreted the question as asking why an actuary would be involved in the actual process of allocating the expenses, not what they use the allocations for.
Yeah you are right; I was also thinking it's similar to saying "The usefulness of the whole allocation by LOB to the actuary and why he may be involved....". My answer was worded in a way to indicate the benefits of him partaking in it; Help with him having more knowledge on the pricing adequacy for a particular line; or if the reserves have to be adjusted blah blah..

Last edited by scratches2k5; 05-09-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Old 05-10-2018, 04:30 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratches2k5 View Post
IIR i said something along the lines of since SAP allows a company to value it's bonds using their own approach (prudent person), a bond which otherwise might be selling for way lower on the open market might be carried at a higher amount by the company thereby giving a false sense of high worth blah blah. Man, I just free-styled on like a 1000 Questions
You probably have confused prudent person standard with SAP valuation rule. Prudent person standard is for investment guideline, and SAP bond valuation rule is not modified by the prudent person standard.