Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Though I agree Trumpism kind of put a pallor over our fun. Poor DC has been in mourning for 2 years now.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM

I also don't really consider "Political" to be all that much more abrasive than NAT, if at all.

What's the worst that happens there? Someone get's called an idiot? When I tell Ito's Phelgm that he's engaging in bad faith and that I don't think he has the muster to back up his positions, I do so knowing that he loses exactly zero sleep over this.

People in NAT have gotten into extremely nasty, personal confrontations with each other. And right now, there is a NAT thread that is pretty much a personal indictment on everyone who posts here for being too boring or annoying.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Second time I've heard that reference in as many days, despite never hearing it before (at least that I can recall).

Can someone tell me what "the reef" is? Is it just NAT? Or something else?
It's a hidden subforum where mods put threads that get out of hand.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Second time I've heard that reference in as many days, despite never hearing it before (at least that I can recall).

Can someone tell me what "the reef" is? Is it just NAT? Or something else?
It's a password protected section of the forum that you get to from the Cyberchat dropdown. Mentioning the reef is a way for AO oldsters to signal their authenticity and coolness to each other, because you have to have been here a very long time to remember anything in the reef worth reading.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Thanks!

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Yeah, that most certainly had nothing to do with the chorus of bitter folks villifying anyone who had the nerve to vote for a minor candidate or for no candidate instead of, ....
I forget who said it (hulktuary?) But my favorite response was "anyone who voted third party just failed the trolley problem."
Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I also don't really consider "Political" to be all that much more abrasive than NAT, if at all.

What's the worst that happens there? Someone get's called an idiot? When I tell Ito's Phelgm that he's engaging in bad faith and that I don't think he has the muster to back up his positions, I do so knowing that he loses exactly zero sleep over this.

People in NAT have gotten into extremely nasty, personal confrontations with each other. And right now, there is a NAT thread that is pretty much a personal indictment on everyone who posts here for being too boring or annoying.
I would take that as a compliment. [Cue Chesterton's treatise on the boring and the bored.]
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Chesterton
I think you're thinking of Harvey Danger.

https://youtu.be/sVt1Dy_LblQ?t=166

Spoiler:

The short list
Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post

Someone calling me names would certainly stress me out, though perhaps not an idiot (I remember TIMA called me not smart or something and all I did was laugh), but being called evil or racist or brainwashed, or attacked due to my ethnicity/background does upset me.

Sometimes it is a person who you have met IRL and that is more upsetting if they think you are evil or something, because you were socially introduced. Even if you haven't met IRL, if you consider someone a friend or almost friend it is more upsetting.

Sometimes the fight continues in that you get followed around in NAT and accusations continue over your let's say your evil opinions on food or clothes or whatever and due to your aggressive ethnicity (making this up, not an actual example)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
Someone calling me names would certainly stress me out, though perhaps not an idiot (I remember TIMA called me not smart or something and all I did was laugh), but being called evil or racist or brainwashed, or attacked due to my ethnicity/background does upset me.

Sometimes it is a person who you have met IRL and that is more upsetting if they think you are evil or something, because you were socially introduced. Even if you haven't met IRL, if you consider someone a friend or almost friend it is more upsetting.

Sometimes the fight continues in that you get followed around in NAT and accusations continue over your let's say your evil opinions on food or clothes or whatever and due to your aggressive ethnicity (making this up, not an actual example)
I'm not familiar with the example you're talking about, but it sounds pretty messed up.

If someone is actually being racist, I have no problems with them getting called racist though. Politeness towards racism causes more damage than the hurt feelings of being called racist. This is the brand of political "namecalling" that I'm most familiar with.

I try to avoid "evil" because it's so subjective. Maybe others don't. IDK.

Spoiler:

The short list