Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:37 PM
figure 8's Avatar
figure 8 figure 8 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,054
Default

Good luck!

I use CEO / Actuary as my title. I have no employees, so maybe it's pretentious, maybe it's not. I just like it cause it's different. But also, nobody cares, so it doesn't really matter.

I, like you, had a long checklist of to-do items beforehand (and I'm sure you'll find more things to add to it as you cross things off). This might sound kinda obvious (and maybe you already realize this), but I eventually realized that a lot of that stuff doesn't need to be dealt with until you need to deal with it. I spent a lot of time and energy worrying about trying to get everything set up beforehand. But at some point I just needed to jump in and get started. If I waited until I checked everything off first, I probably would've delayed my start by a long time.

A few suggestions after skimming your list:
-you'll need to figure out how you'll be backing up all of your files
-I'd recommend two big monitors (you won't regret this)
-nobody faxes anymore (right?)
-I'd recommend having something set up that organizes all of your workflow (especially if you'll have annually recurring deadlines/clients) and tracks incoming/outgoing work and incoming/outgoing payments. I don't know exactly what you do or if there's software out there that's used in your industry for this, or if your stuff is simple enough that you can just build something simple in excel or something. I think staying organized is important.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
Your avatar indicates that you are a human being trapped in the body of a donkey, trying to burst out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 PM
T-roy's Avatar
T-roy T-roy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Posts: 8,768
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Thanks F8!

go daddy has offered to backup files. I also thought about the apple cloud but this'd be too close to my personal files I think. I want to keep personal and business as separate as possible.

As I get some $ coming in I plan to get a new monitor (I bought one already) and a new computer.

I am using freshbooks for invoices and hooked it up to my chase business checking account. This tracks my time and keeps clients separated. I am still learning it, but it seems easy.

Visiting my accountant in a few minutes, got a meeting with ADP for payroll, and meeting with a graphics artist for business cards and website tomorrow as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLYLOL View Post
Beer is ****ing amazing
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Good luck!

I use CEO / Actuary as my title. I have no employees, so maybe it's pretentious, maybe it's not. I just like it cause it's different. But also, nobody cares, so it doesn't really matter.
Adding "CEO" to your title is the exact opposite of "different" IME. But agree that nobody really cares.


Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
This might sound kinda obvious (and maybe you already realize this), but I eventually realized that a lot of that stuff doesn't need to be dealt with until you need to deal with it.
...
-you'll need to figure out how you'll be backing up all of your files
-I'd recommend two big monitors (you won't regret this)
-nobody faxes anymore (right?)
-I'd recommend having something set up that organizes all of your workflow (especially if you'll have annually recurring deadlines/clients) and tracks incoming/outgoing work and incoming/outgoing payments. I don't know exactly what you do or if there's software out there that's used in your industry for this, or if your stuff is simple enough that you can just build something simple in excel or something. I think staying organized is important.
Agree with all of this. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
meeting with a graphics artist for business cards and website tomorrow as well.
If that's all they're doing, you can probably have some kid in Pakistan do everything you need for 1/10 of the price, going to fiverr or something like that. I wouldn't meet with somebody local unless they were doing some extra stuff, like maintaining the website, SEO, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:11 PM
figure 8's Avatar
figure 8 figure 8 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Adding "CEO" to your title is the exact opposite of "different" IME.
Right, CEO is everywhere. I just meant the "CEO / Actuary" combo as one title is not one I've seen used though. Usually when an actuary becomes CEO, they just become "CEO."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
Your avatar indicates that you are a human being trapped in the body of a donkey, trying to burst out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:23 PM
T-roy's Avatar
T-roy T-roy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Posts: 8,768
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
If that's all they're doing, you can probably have some kid in Pakistan do everything you need for 1/10 of the price, going to fiverr or something like that. I wouldn't meet with somebody local unless they were doing some extra stuff, like maintaining the website, SEO, etc.
She's a friend/in the run club, so it is all on the inexpensive side. I am a cheap actuary ya know!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLYLOL View Post
Beer is ****ing amazing
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 PM
figure 8's Avatar
figure 8 figure 8 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
She's a friend/in the run club, so it is all on the inexpensive side. I am a cheap actuary ya know!
lol, yep - my sister designed my logo and business card
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
Your avatar indicates that you are a human being trapped in the body of a donkey, trying to burst out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:42 PM
T-roy's Avatar
T-roy T-roy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Posts: 8,768
Blog Entries: 1
Default

southportfsa.com is up and running. I am just about out of patience with designing the website. I may have someone help me that has more experience.

Let me know via here pr PM me of there is something I can improve upon. Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLYLOL View Post
Beer is ****ing amazing
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:53 PM
T-roy's Avatar
T-roy T-roy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2002
College: UW Whitewater
Favorite beer: FFF GBH/NG Moon Man
Posts: 8,768
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Logos I sort of like (For business cards, letterhead, invoices)



Might delete the "Services"
I like the raindrop symbol (Southport is a water reference/port)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLYLOL View Post
Beer is ****ing amazing

Last edited by T-roy; 01-09-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Harbinger Harbinger is offline
Notes Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy View Post
southportfsa.com is up and running. I am just about out of patience with designing the website. I may have someone help me that has more experience.

Let me know via here pr PM me of there is something I can improve upon. Thanks!
You should add and a bio or an “about” page to discuss your background. Your clients will want to know more about you than that you have 17 years of experience.

Crazy that I just surpassed 14 years and I couldn’t imagine going out on my own
__________________
har·bin·ger (här'bin-jer): One that indicates or foreshadows what is to come; a forerunner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i was srs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.32287 seconds with 11 queries