Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

I think I'm going to start messing around with IFTTT.

Stuff I have: A few Phil-Hue lightbulbs (in living room only so far), Google Home, Alexa Dot.

What's some nifty and/or useful stuff to try? Think I might have a light indicate weather forecast in the morning or some such.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Looking at heating and cooling thermostats. They seem a bit too expensive at the moment, and my current thermostat works well enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I got the Emerson Sensi, which meets those criteria. It's $107 at Amazon now, and it's very easy to install, your phone walks you through it all.
I also appreciate that it heats/cools automatically, as we get some nice temp swings in CO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
ecobee3

i like...
What's the current word on smart thermostats?

I live in the northeast and we are adding on to our house and will be putting central AC in the upstairs bedrooms only (have window AC now). The same system may or may not also do heat - in addition to the radiators we already have.

One wrinkle is that since we aren't going to AC the hallway, the thermostat will need to be in a bedroom. I'll guess we'll put it in ours and the kids will have to live with our settings.

Right now we don't have any connected home things, but you could talk me into it. We are both android users.

I'm pretty price insensitive, as part of a six figure construction project I don't care about a $50 price difference. I want the "best" but I don't know what criteria I'll use to determine the best
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I have the Fidure A1730 which runs around $70. It is Zigbee, so you'd need a hub of some sort to connect it to (I use SmartThings). Since it is tied to proximity sensors (aka, our smartphones), it adjusts the temperatures based on whether we are home or not. It can also be scheduled manually, I think.

We used to have a Honeywell wifi thermostat that was ok, but the only app that controlled it was garbage.

Edit: And a little googling tells me they are totally and completely sold out everywhere, it seems.

Last edited by ahow; 07-05-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
One wrinkle is that since we aren't going to AC the hallway, the thermostat will need to be in a bedroom. I'll guess we'll put it in ours and the kids will have to live with our settings.
It seems portable AC might be the best bet for your situation than central AC. Have you look into that?

If you want to go with central AC with a smart thermostat, Ecobee 3/4 has multiple temperature sensor so the temperature from both bedrooms can be monitored.

Another option for central AC is getting a wireless thermostat. Wireless thermostat comes with 2 modules. One module connects to HVAC, the other module is basically just a remote control. The temperature sensor is with the remote, and I think you can simply get multiple remotes for multiple rooms.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti View Post
It seems portable AC might be the best bet for your situation than central AC. Have you look into that?
Those are the ones that sit next to the window, right? Are they that much better than a window unit? Even with this addition our house isn't huge, so I don't really want those sitting in our rooms.

We considered ductless units, but I think a this point we are probably going to go with the "central" (upstairs only) AC. We should probably give some thought to making sure the ducts are proportional to the size of the room so we don't freeze our youngest daughter while trying to cool our room.

Quote:
If you want to go with central AC with a smart thermostat, Ecobee 3/4 has multiple temperature sensor so the temperature from both bedrooms can be monitored.
Thanks, this is useful information.

So, how does it work if my kids room is getting cold while mine is still warm? I assume it can't turn on or off individual rooms. Does it just average them? Same issue with the wireless remote - we set it to 72, my kids room is 70, my room is 75, what does it do?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
So, how does it work if my kids room is getting cold while mine is still warm? I assume it can't turn on or off individual rooms. Does it just average them? Same issue with the wireless remote - we set it to 72, my kids room is 70, my room is 75, what does it do?
googled it, so it sounds like it averages them, but is smart enough to know you should only look at some.

So if we hook it up to our whole house heater we could tell it to only use the sensors upstairs at night and only the downstairs ones during the day. cool
Old 07-07-2017, 03:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
You can choose to use one of the sensor or multiple sensor for Ecobee. when using multiple sensors, it will do what any good actuary will do... take an average of all sensors. In your example and assume you only have 2 sensor, your room will be 2 degrees hotter and the kids will be 2 degrees colder. If you want to put 66% of the weight to your kids room temp, just add an extra sensor in your kid's bedroom! These sensors are portable and very tiny. It will not obstruct your living space.

Another way to address temperature differential in the house is "smart vent". This device will automatically regulates the opening of the vents room by room.
https://keenhome.io/smart-vent
Old 07-07-2017, 03:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
googled it, so it sounds like it averages them, but is smart enough to know you should only look at some.

So if we hook it up to our whole house heater we could tell it to only use the sensors upstairs at night and only the downstairs ones during the day. cool
yup. You can also put two sensors together at the same spot, just to give more weight to that location when it averages.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
You can choose to use one of the sensor or multiple sensor for Ecobee. when using multiple sensors, it will do what any good actuary will do... take an average of all sensors. In your example and assume you only have 2 sensor, your room will be 2 degrees hotter and the kids will be 2 degrees colder. If you want to put 66% of the weight to your kids room temp, just add an extra sensor in your kid's bedroom! These sensors are portable and very tiny. It will not obstruct your living space.
I like the way you think, but this way lies madness. What if I want the weight to be 5/7 my room and 2/7 kid's room....
Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM
CAS

you will need 6 little bees.
It can handle up to 32 you know...
haha~