Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Anyone a Total War fan? I was a huge fan of Rome1, Empire and Shogun 2.. less so of Rome 2 and then I didn't even buy Warhammer since wth it's not historical! ... though it's on sale... worth it?
I tried to get into it a few times. I got Shogun 2 (I think.. if not, then 1), as it also gives me the Japanese hook to keep me interested.

I like it, but I'm just kind of bad at the actual strategy of the game. It's a bit frustrating that I don't know how to improve. I should spend some time on message boards figuring it out.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
I tried to get into it a few times. I got Shogun 2 (I think.. if not, then 1), as it also gives me the Japanese hook to keep me interested.

I like it, but I'm just kind of bad at the actual strategy of the game. It's a bit frustrating that I don't know how to improve. I should spend some time on message boards figuring it out.
Shogun 1 game out ages ago, I remember playing it when I was like ~12 and the graphics are so relatively bad it's amusing. Shogun 2 came out like 6 years ago? So I'd imagine you've played that.

Were you not able to get into Total War generally, or Warhammer specifically?

And what part of the strategy do you struggle with? The macro what to build where to expand? Or the battlefield part? And don't feel too bad, if you've got the difficulty above normal the AI just gets lots of troops out of thin air.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:07 PM
CAS

If you're struggling with the strategy in Shogun 2 the chosokabe are fun to play. Their archers get an inherent bonus and they start on an island so a very friendly starting area. And it's relatively easier to fight battles where you revolve around archers/protecting archers.

Takeda is a lot of fun, but takes a LOT of micro, their specialty is cavalry.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone a Total War fan? I was a huge fan of Rome1, Empire and Shogun 2.. less so of Rome 2 and then I didn't even buy Warhammer since wth it's not historical! ... though it's on sale... worth it?
I played it a bunch and enjoyed it. Pretty decent, but not really all that different from the other total war games.

Sequel scheduled to come out in September though. Might want to wait for that. Hopefully the base game for II includes all the races and stuff they DLC'd in the first one.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Yes, worth it IMO.

I'm not a big fan of Total War games. I think I started too late in the series? It's kind of awkward to play as an adult and have to learn what all the mechanics are about. Also the game just feels kind of random. Sometimes the computer is a pushover. Sometime it's a menace and you have to load. Sometimes you can just cheese the AI to death. I dunno?

Anyway I liked Warhammer a little more because it felt like they weren't trying so hard to be historical. Like the problem with history is that it's really boring. There are no special powers. No truly great heroes. Mostly stupid generals. No time to build marketplaces and invent new farming technologies. Most troops were probably the same. 10,000 guys on one side charging at 15,000 almost identically dressed guys on the other side. Meh. With Warhammer, dropping the faux-realism lets them go a lot farther in that direction-- everything is magical, with great heroes wielding magic swords, fighting dragons, etc.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 06-23-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 03:45 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Quote:
Shogun 1 game out ages ago, I remember playing it when I was like ~12 and the graphics are so relatively bad it's amusing. Shogun 2 came out like 6 years ago? So I'd imagine you've played that.

Were you not able to get into Total War generally, or Warhammer specifically?

And what part of the strategy do you struggle with? The macro what to build where to expand? Or the battlefield part? And don't feel too bad, if you've got the difficulty above normal the AI just gets lots of troops out of thin air.
Yeah, got it on Steam sale a few years ago, so the newer one. The battlefield part is what I was poor at. I'm not good at war battles, haha. Understand that you should flank with horses, maybe don't let melee touch your archers, etc., but it just doesn't feel that I'm making great decisions. Or the battle is long enough I don't have great feedback on if my decisions helped or hurt the battle.

I'm still kind of interested in this game specifically, because I think the archers/samurai kind of battle is cool. So, I'll jump back into it some day. I did the tutorial campaign, but kind of brute forced some battles. Waited until I easily outnumber them, instead of winning by cunning battle tactics.

Never got into a different Total War game, but no real reason for that. Just seemed like too much of a learning curve, so I'm really making an effort with Shogun to get up that hill.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Yes, worth it IMO.

I'm not a big fan of Total War games. I think I started too late in the series? It's kind of awkward to play as an adult and have to learn what all the mechanics are about. Also the game just feels kind of random. Sometimes the computer is a pushover. Sometime it's a menace and you have to load. Sometimes you can just cheese the AI to death. I dunno?

Anyway I liked Warhammer a little more because it felt like they weren't trying so hard to be historical. Like the problem with history is that it's really boring. There are no special powers. No truly great heroes. Mostly stupid generals. No time to build marketplaces and invent new farming technologies. Most troops were probably the same. 10,000 guys on one side charging at 15,000 almost identically dressed guys on the other side. Meh. With Warhammer, dropping the faux-realism lets them incorporate some some pretty neat heroes and armies and monsters.
I could see that being fun... I suppose when it's historical, for me at least, it adds a bit of realism to it. Like playing as the Dutch settling the Caribbean I'd be fighting these super simple battles but feel so into it because I felt like I was reliving history.

And I do agree with the randomness of difficulty. Total War is pretty bad about difficulty... it's either way too easy or you turn it up and the AI just gets to cheat to ridiculous levels. In fact being sick of that is what got me started on Europa which I've played quite a bit of. Great game as well, though incredibly deep.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Yeah, got it on Steam sale a few years ago, so the newer one. The battlefield part is what I was poor at. I'm not good at war battles, haha. Understand that you should flank with horses, maybe don't let melee touch your archers, etc., but it just doesn't feel that I'm making great decisions. Or the battle is long enough I don't have great feedback on if my decisions helped or hurt the battle.

I'm still kind of interested in this game specifically, because I think the archers/samurai kind of battle is cool. So, I'll jump back into it some day. I did the tutorial campaign, but kind of brute forced some battles. Waited until I easily outnumber them, instead of winning by cunning battle tactics.

Never got into a different Total War game, but no real reason for that. Just seemed like too much of a learning curve, so I'm really making an effort with Shogun to get up that hill.
Ah I see. I'd definitely stick with Shogun 2 then assuming you're happy with the Japanese timeframe, the engine they use is for it is really nice and the troops are generally similar enough that it's relatively easy to learn.

Sadly the Japanese didn't use shields much, so defending archers is mainly a question of better armor, but it's largely a rock paper scissors issue... spears are good against cavalry, cavalry is good against archers, archers are good against anything not moving, and swords are good against spears.

Beyond that you generally want high ground, attack from the rear, get the enemy to come to you so that they're tired, if you attack try to be hitting them hard and fast at once to try and cause a completely morale break, the most successful battles are the ones where you manage to freak the enemy out while only barely having fought and then mowing them down while they try and escape.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
I could see that being fun... I suppose when it's historical, for me at least, it adds a bit of realism to it. Like playing as the Dutch settling the Caribbean I'd be fighting these super simple battles but feel so into it because I felt like I was reliving history.

And I do agree with the randomness of difficulty. Total War is pretty bad about difficulty... it's either way too easy or you turn it up and the AI just gets to cheat to ridiculous levels. In fact being sick of that is what got me started on Europa which I've played quite a bit of. Great game as well, though incredibly deep.
Europa is amazing. I'd almost hesitate to say "fun"! but definitely something everyone should play!
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Europa is amazing. I'd almost hesitate to say "fun"! but definitely something everyone should play!
Haha yes, agreed. Crusader Kings is great too, though sadly there aren't that many smallish nations to start as, unlike in EU4. I never have as much fun when you join some massive empire and fight within.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one