Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
When you interview for a job, you should be able to explain to the interviewer(s) why the heck you're there, and why you want the job. Life/PC/Pension switchers have the extra hurdle of why they want to switch. Answers to those questions aren't found in a book, or an internet forum, but in your own brain/heart/gut. Surely the OP has given these issues some thought, or s/he wouldn't be switching.
Good advice. The OP needs to formulate objectives, and try to break them. Anticipate objections. Find the "holes" in the rationale.

Presentation, or "spin", has its place in the process too. For example, you should never be seen as running away from something as much as running toward something.

>> Think backwards: What would I want to hear? What have they told me that I can use against them as justification? Why are they interviewing me (read: what about my resume makes them think I will be an asset as a switcher)?

>> Read body language: Is my pitch working? Can I tweak the message to bring someone who is closed off back on board?

Last edited by The Matrix; 01-30-2007 at 11:13 PM..
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Answer for Standtall: although I had 6 exams passed, I just have one year experience, I started my job last Feb, that is why my salary is between 60K-65K.

Answer for silverfox: even though you don't use some skills, it doesn't mean these skills are useless. In fact you will find they are very helpful for you if you learn them. But I suspect you like to accept new things

Answer for pills: you are only person who didn't give bullshit in this topic, you are exactly right, I don't like this job. If I like it, why do I want to change it, actually my salary is not too bad, location is good, company is famous, however I want to know some new businesses.

Answer for urysohn: I am not angry with your sarcasm, in fact you give sarcasm to every topic in this forum. My suggestion for you is if you have good ideas, OK leave it, if you don't have, then concentrate on your exam study.

Answer for westly: are you an actuary? I am curious why you have so much spare time to spend on forum. you almost answer every topic. which company do you work? I want to apply for

Answer for swmong: thank you for your understanding. long time no talk, how is your everything going?

For L.Mo, The matrix and other people: I apprciate your ideas, I have had a good answer based on your advice
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupeisi View Post
I am curious why you have so much spare time to spend on forum. you almost answer every topic. which company do you work? I want to apply for
I thought you wanted to apply for a job that's more difficult, and where you can use your SQL skills. Also, this is how I tolerate never leaving the office - believe me, your 10 hours/day sounds nice to me these days. I don't think you want to work here.

And it's Westley!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Westley

I am kidding with you. I don't satirize you, and I don't want to satirize any pension actuaries. I know pension actuarial work is challenging and exciting job. I respect these pension actuarial professionals. I am new graduate, and I just do basic pension valuation work in my current work. I should I change my previous words to" I just do basic calculations in my current work, I find it is not too difficult". actually those three reasons are just joke I made. I apologized.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
urysohn

Quote:
Answer for urysohn: I am not angry with your sarcasm, in fact you give sarcasm to every topic in this forum. My suggestion for you is if you have good ideas, OK leave it, if you don't have, then concentrate on your exam study.
I give sarcasm only to those topics which I feel deserve it. I freely acknowledge that this has happened more often recently and it is likely me and not the topics which is causing this sarcastic surge.
I will try to focus more on my exam studies. But with that, I partly blame my study partner, Westley; he never shows up when we're supposed to study together.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Jupeisi,

I don't work in the States anymore, I get through all the requirements for ASA, waiting for course 7 results. In fact, I am not so sure if my next job is actuarial related.
As for everyone here, what I am trying to say is that the motive for job switch is very simple. Money, better prospect.... etc. It's just how you are going to present these ideas in an articulate manner so that your future employer will be convinced.
But Jupeisi, mind you, if you are not a U.S. citizen, no matter what job switch, you will have hurdles......
Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 AM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Quote:
Answer for silverfox: even though you don't use some skills, it doesn't mean these skills are useless. In fact you will find they are very helpful for you if you learn them. But I suspect you like to accept new things
Translation please?