Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM

College: UCSB

I almost wish I'd fail the current sitting so I can routinely debate this exam with SandbagQueen. She has become infamous on the MFE boards. I don't really wanna fail of coarse, but someone's got to be there to put some life into the boards.

As far as advice. The whole life contingencies part all kinda builds upon itself. Also, it gets easier. I still think the later chapters of the survival distribution stuff (which is the first ASM section) was the hardest to learn at the time. Insurances and Annuities were decent. Premiums were easy. Reserves are kinda hard I admit. Then multiple lives/decrements and expenses are easier again. There is a lot but it's not that tough. There is very little conceptual stuff, mostly math.

Then there is the poisson/markov material. That is all practice. Just do a whole bunch of them and you will have 6 or 7 guaranteed (well almost) correct questions on the exam. The poisson questions do require some ingenuity, but it's no different than what you may have seen on exam p, just harder.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesgut View Post
I almost wish I'd fail the current sitting so I can routinely debate this exam with SandbagQueen. She has become infamous on the MFE boards. I don't really wanna fail of coarse, but someone's got to be there to put some life into the boards.
Ha, I'm flattered (I think). I'm only infamous on MFE because I've been there almost the longest...

Quote:
As far as advice. The whole life contingencies part all kinda builds upon itself. Also, it gets easier. I still think the later chapters of the survival distribution stuff (which is the first ASM section) was the hardest to learn at the time. Insurances and Annuities were decent. Premiums were easy. Reserves are kinda hard I admit. Then multiple lives/decrements and expenses are easier again. There is a lot but it's not that tough. There is very little conceptual stuff, mostly math.
The everything building on itself thing is one thing I've heard quite often. And little conceptual, mostly math, will be a very nice switch.

Quote:
Then there is the poisson/markov material. That is all practice. Just do a whole bunch of them and you will have 6 or 7 guaranteed (well almost) correct questions on the exam. The poisson questions do require some ingenuity, but it's no different than what you may have seen on exam p, just harder.
Good to know. I can handle doing a lot of practice problems. It's generally the way to pass actuarial exams.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
You might want to anticipate more questions than this. I think there were 8 or 9 on this last one. More than I thought there would be.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Chapter 1 of Actuarial Mathematics is now in the books.

Now time to hit chapter 2.

Chapter 3 is where the real material begins... but I think it's best to review key concepts before proceeding. Let's see if this strategy turns out to be a successful one.

ASM fans, you need not despair. I plan to get to it later.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Chapter 1 of Actuarial Mathematics is now in the books.

Now time to hit chapter 2.

Chapter 3 is where the real material begins... but I think it's best to review key concepts before proceeding. Let's see if this strategy turns out to be a successful one.

ASM fans, you need not despair. I plan to get to it later.
Which edition do you have? I'm asking because I borrowed a copy of the 1st edition and I was wondering how big the difference was between 1st and 2nd ed.

If you have the second could you list the chapter titles for the syllabus recommendations... 3-11 I think, I would really appreciate it
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

I have the second edition.

Chapter Titles:

3: Survival Distributions and Life Tables
4: Life Insurance
5: Life Annuities
6: Benefit Premiums
7: Benefit Reserves
8: Analysis of Benefit Reserves
9: Multiple Life Functions
10: Multiple Decrement Models
11: Applications of Multiple Decrement Theory
15: Insurance Models Including Expenses

Actuarial Mathematics is not complete as you need to download additional study notes to fully cover material tested in the exam. Details given in the syllabus.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Actuarial Mathematics is not complete as you need to download additional study notes to fully cover material tested in the exam. Details given in the syllabus.
Pre-ordered ASM Monday, just running through the Actuarial Mathematics text over the next month or so to get a jump on the material, and also to have more practice problems down the road...

Thanks for the chapter list, looks like all the subjects are in the same order, hopefully the 1st edition problems aren't too different from the 2nd
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbagQueen View Post
I'm hopefully going to be spending some more permanent time here after July 2nd (waiting for final MFE results, but anyone over there can tell you my experience with MFE, and even with a fail I'm seriously considering taking a break from that and moving on to MLC). My plans are to use ASM and maybe TIA. I probably won't use the actual textbook, especially since there's an "Option A" and "Option B", it seems less likely that they'll pull some random sentence from the text for a conceptual question.

I haven't actually started any studying yet, but probably will in the next couple of weeks.

SBQ! I'm sooo glad you are moving on to MLC with me! we'll be so popular over here just like in MFE last time!

Also.. I haven't seen anyone else using the other text option that's not the Actuarial Mathematics book (I forget the name), but that's the one I ordered because Actuarial Mathematics book was a huge hardcover and didn't seem like I could easily study on the train with it... does the one I ordered suck??
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl1286 View Post
SBQ! I'm sooo glad you are moving on to MLC with me! we'll be so popular over here just like in MFE last time!

Also.. I haven't seen anyone else using the other text option that's not the Actuarial Mathematics book (I forget the name), but that's the one I ordered because Actuarial Mathematics book was a huge hardcover and didn't seem like I could easily study on the train with it... does the one I ordered suck??
From what I have heard, both options suck, but there is another book by Jordan that is good...

However, IMO problems are problems, and the more practice you get the better...

The only reason I got the Actuarial Math text is because it was free
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!
College: Penn State, Class of 2001
Favorite beer: Shiner Bock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl1286 View Post

The texts are completely unnecessary. Abe does a magnificently thorough job with his manual, and in the occasional cases where the two texts differ in their notation or coverage of the material, Abe lets you know.

Tags
nov 2010 sitting, progress thread