Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Back for round two. Got a 5, and certainly disappointed from this past sitting seeing that probably one more correct answer very well could have made it a six with the low passing mark. It's a shame a lot of it came down to who got luckier with guessing. Definitely was too long, and I hope that the SOA takes that into account when writing the questions for this sitting. Got the new ASM manual on my way as well as ADAPT and motivated more than ever to get past this exam.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
SOA

So who has the magic answer for how to study for this sucker? I took the exam last November for the first time and scored a 4. I used Ostaszewski's manual (worked really well for P), and the aid-formerly-known-as-SOA 282. I did not sit for the May exam, but I did purchase the ASM 11th edition manual. I've read a lot of reactions to this new syllabus. In addition to new material, have notations changed too? If the aid-formerly-known-as-SOA 282 is no longer a good indicator of exam-type questions, does that deem all previous exam questions/solutions as nothing more than good, general knowledge? Do I need to get the second printing of ASM 11?

Moving forward, I guess the thing to do is get through ASM 11v1, know the added problems (~20) to SOA 300 and the May sitting like my life depends on it, and maybe review some of the aid-formerly-known-as-SOA 282.

On a more general note, what's the consensus on original, author questions? It's my understanding that one question is meant to cover many, challenging topics with the idea there is no way exam-takers will experience anything equally difficult on exam-day. But c'mon! Some of them are outrageous, no? Not to mention almost doubling the amount of time needed to get through a manual. Maybe I just need to step my game up.

In summary: HOW DO I GET FROM A 4 ON THE OLD SYLLABUS TO AN 8 ON THE NEW SYLLABUS?! (Then the worst I could get is a 6, right?)
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
CAS

Studying for Mo' Money
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudyingIsFun View Post
Are you getting your scan tron manually graded? I thought you got a really low score and thought you had 16 right.
Yes I already requested a hand score... but I might have screwed up the bubbling. I'd rather assume I'm taking MLC for the next few weeks b/c I don't want to switch to MFE until I pass MLC.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyandabed View Post
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I am so motivated to pass this thing in November. Going through the TIA lecture notes and doing the section exercises from the beginning. Will also be reading AMLCR and doing problems from there.
This is exactly my plan - I used TIA previously (as with all my exams), so I'll stick with it again and see if I can get a pass this time around. I can't accept having to take an exam more than twice!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
SOA

College: American University in Cairo

Hello guys,

This is my first post in AO and I belive it's really useful (for the most part) to plan ahead. It definately helped me pass P/1 and FM/2. I'm on my way to that beast MLC in Nov. The problem is I have the Actex 2010 study manual (+ TIA which is a relief after what I ve read) and I cannot afford a new study manual...I ll just go over the new syllabus and TRY to add/wipe out the different material in the guide. Really hope this works . Good luck to everyone!

When you need to succeed just as much as you need to breathe, then you will succeed.

“Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them.” - Aristotle
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
SOA

Studying for something

that sucks peetie im here with you though. i am going to try to double up on MFE though, too, so i can get back on track with my schedule and goals
FSA stuffs
CERA stuffs
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
SOA

College: Mephitis State University
Favorite beer: Saison Dupont

I think 5 is possibly the worst score to get. Oh well. I see it as motivation. I'm close, and I'm not going to get anything less than a 6 next time.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty

HereWeGo, to answer your question. I ended up passing with 7 this May. I used ASM and did every problem in it plus the first 4 practice exams. In the last 1.5 days I did the SOA 300 as I thought these would best match the syllabus. This was wrong, as only the last 50 questions were useful.

I think what best prepared me for this was the intuitive explanations I got in two LifeCon classes in grad school. Having a Professor explain things is vastly superior to a manual. No, I am not recommending going back to school. What I am recommending is seeking out live seminars or recorded lectures to supplement your own studies. Nothing has ever made the concepts clearer than listening to someone with a PhD explain it to you.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FractionalActuary View Post
HereWeGo, to answer your question. I ended up passing with 7 this May. I used ASM and did every problem in it plus the first 4 practice exams. In the last 1.5 days I did the SOA 300 as I thought these would best match the syllabus. This was wrong, as only the last 50 questions were useful.

I think what best prepared me for this was the intuitive explanations I got in two LifeCon classes in grad school. Having a Professor explain things is vastly superior to a manual. No, I am not recommending going back to school. What I am recommending is seeking out live seminars or recorded lectures to supplement your own studies. Nothing has ever made the concepts clearer than listening to someone with a PhD explain it to you.
Thanks for the feedback FA, and congrats on passing! What didn't you like about the first 250 ?s of the SOA 300?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 AM
SOA

My winning strategy was:

1. Covered every chapter in the ASM manual. I didn't do every problem in every chapter, but I did an awful lot of them, enough to fill a couple spiral notebooks. I did do every problem in the newer sections, though. Assume if it is covered in the manual, it can and will be tested on. I picked up a lot of points because I hadn't skipped sections that were considered unlikely topics.

2. I did all of the SOA practice problems, and kept track of which ones I got right easily, got right with difficulty, and got wrong. I then covered the sections I got wrong again, and went through them again, and so on.

3. I also had an ADAPT subscription, which I found useful. It also brought out the competitive streak in me, since I would defend my position on the leaderboard. I may have gone a bit overkill with the ADAPT as a result.

4. I did the first 2 (3?) ASM exams. I though they were too difficult and unrealistic, and so didn't spend any more time on those. In retrospect the difficulty was pretty spot on.

Other general points:
1. There are a gazillion formulas to memorize, but many of them are interrelated. I just memorized the version I could remember easiest (the annuity ratio formula for reserves for example), and used relations to convert to other version.

2. Some formulas can be rearranged in a way that's easier to memorize, like Thiele, where you can move terms out of the parentheses. The super long Woolhouse and a(m) b(m) formulas for term annuities can be derived by writing Woolhouse for a_x and a_x+n, and then using the regular equation for a term annuity. Kolmogorov is easier to remember visually/conceptually than memorizing all the super scripts (going from i to j via k, and i to k via j)

3. Get a system down for your calculator and variables. I tried to use the same variables for the same things, and I would also mark on my paper what I was storing in x,y,z, etc. I also used the relation d = 1 - v a lot, so I would only have to store one or the other.