Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
SOA

Default April 2013 Sitting?

Hey all,

So I just (unbelievably) passed MLC so now I'm on to MFE. I obviously don't have time to take the August sitting so the next available is November's sitting. My dilemma is this: I have a course in college going from September - December that goes along with MFE, but the instructor sucks anyways. So should I study like crazy on my own and do it in November before the course is even done?

Or... should I at least finish the course first and then do extra studying on my own and take the April sitting? (BTW, is there always an April sitting? I only see August and November 2012 on beanactuary) The other advantage to this would be that I graduate in December so I (hopefully) would have a full-time job by then so I'd have study time and they'd pay for the exam. But....the down-side to that is that while job hunting, it might look better to have "Sitting for MFE in November" on my resume.

What do y'all think? Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
SOA

This was the first year they offered it 3 times. So if they keep it the same for 2013, then yes there will be a sitting sometime in the 2nd half of April.

If you're taking a class on it in the fall, I'd say take it in November. You should supplement the class with something else though, (since the instructor sucks and because you won't get through all of the material). I think Actuarial Brew is your best choice for supplementing. But your class will help more than you think, despite the crappy professor.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Non-Actuary

If you need more than 120hours to pass MFE, youre in the wrong profession.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
SOA

College: Senior at a CAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekta View Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
CAS

You should go for the November. I am working 35 hours/week as an intern and I started studying beginning of june with no prior background to the material. I am gonna be finishing the ASM manual this week end. I did almost every single questions after each lessons. I heard that before the exams were harder, but now it seems they are easier so I think you have a chance for november.

P.S: I am writing it in august
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
SOA

Thanks, guys. I have also heard that it is supposed to be much easier now than it used o be. I have also heard (although i don't know if i agree) that it is supposed to be easier when you are in school versus working full time. I think ill try for it in November. Ill probably start studying in a month or so.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekta View Post
Not too sure about that. Two hours a day for two months?

If you can do 26 ASM lessons, all the SOA problems (78?), and some practice exams all in two hours a day for two months then that's incredibly quick. I know I can't do all that so quickly, but if you can then good job. But I don't think that's the norm.

For someone that doesn't have any background going in to your studying, I would say expect on more than 120 hours if you plan on doing the things I listed.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM

I failed this exam 6x before finally passing. Who cares? People have different motivational levels outside of work.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
SOA

College: College
Favorite beer: Jose Cuervo

This smekta guy is hilarious.

Quote from boss (FSA, VP) after I failed MFE in April:

"When you get the FSA slip on your wall, no one is going to ask how many times it took you to do anything..."

BTW, If you need 5 attempts to pass an exam, the SOA will take your money...
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAnActuary
While everyone studies differently, the typical candidate studies about 100 hours for every hour of the exam. For example, exam P/1 is a three hour exam. That means you will be hitting the books for 300 hours to fully master the concepts tested on that exam
Nobody except for smekta suggests 120 hours for this exam. Even the SOA recommends more than twice that. Heck, I get more than 120 hours in study time alone for it.