Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-19-2016, 05:17 PM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,161
Default

I'll be using Actex and Coaching Actuary.
I hope it'll be good enough to pass.
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 PM
BuddhaWilliams BuddhaWilliams is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 152
Default

I'm throwing my hat in for April as well. I started reading the ASM MLC eManual a few days ago. The first few chapters are pretty similar to the mortality concepts on exam C, which i took a few weeks ago. I plan on using using ADAPT as well. I've used adapt for everything else and it hasnt let me down yet. BTW does anyone know what score you need to pass MLC? I know there is 20 multiple choice questions and 6-7 written answers. How many points do you need for a 6?

Last edited by BuddhaWilliams; 10-19-2016 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2016, 09:04 PM
IlliniTrack800m IlliniTrack800m is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
I'm throwing my hat in for April as well. I started reading the ASM MLC eManual a few days ago. The first few chapters are pretty similar to the mortality concepts on exam C, which i took a few weeks ago. I plan on using using ADAPT as well. I've used adapt for everything else and it hasnt let me down yet. BTW does anyone know what score you need to pass MLC? I know there is 20 multiple choice questions and 6-7 written answers. How many points do you need for a 6?
Best guesses have it around 65 for a 6.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 PM
BuddhaWilliams BuddhaWilliams is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 152
Default

I think there are 96 possible points on the exam, something like that. So ~65 out of 96 for a 6? That doesn't seem too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 AM
cixelsidmaikool cixelsidmaikool is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
College: Providence College
Posts: 37
Default

Will be taking this next spring as well; MLC is my last real requirement for the lowers.

Just ordered TIA yesterday and will likely supplement it with the ASM manual. This worked well for me on C.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's Avatar
Lorenzo Von Matterhorn Lorenzo Von Matterhorn is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
I'm throwing my hat in for April as well. I started reading the ASM MLC eManual a few days ago. The first few chapters are pretty similar to the mortality concepts on exam C, which i took a few weeks ago. I plan on using using ADAPT as well. I've used adapt for everything else and it hasnt let me down yet. BTW does anyone know what score you need to pass MLC? I know there is 20 multiple choice questions and 6-7 written answers. How many points do you need for a 6?
I'm sure others will have opinions, but I thought ADAPT for MLC was probably the worst out of the 5 preliminaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTrack800m View Post
Best guesses have it around 65 for a 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
I think there are 96 possible points on the exam, something like that. So ~65 out of 96 for a 6? That doesn't seem too bad.
The 65 points for a 6 has been the thought for quite awhile. After the Spring '16 sitting, I have my doubts. I think the pass mark could be relative to the types of questions they decide to put on the exam depending on their perceived difficulty.

I got 17/20 on the MC, and kept grading myself around 30/56 on the WA. That would have put me at a 64, which I felt was on the cusp of passing and failing. I ended up with an 8. Unless I horribly underestimated the amount of partial credit I received, I don't think there's a definite answer as to how many points are needed. I think you are safe if you get 65+.
__________________
FSA
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM
BuddhaWilliams BuddhaWilliams is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
I'm sure others will have opinions, but I thought ADAPT for MLC was probably the worst out of the 5 preliminaries.
I've been wondering about that. How does Adapt for MLC work with written response answers? Is there some sort of software that grades it? Or do they only offer the multiple choice questions?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's Avatar
Lorenzo Von Matterhorn Lorenzo Von Matterhorn is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWilliams View Post
I've been wondering about that. How does Adapt for MLC work with written response answers? Is there some sort of software that grades it? Or do they only offer the multiple choice questions?
Just MC. They give you 1 hour and 40 minutes to complete 20 MC questions. The problem with that is the ADAPT MC questions aren't really representative of what you'll see on the MC portion of the exam. Plus you should really finish the MC quite a bit faster than 1:40.

ADAPT also provides sample WA via PDF, I think. I ended up just using TIA to learn the material and practice MC. Then I used the SOA MC/WA samples, along with the released exams. This was more than enough. I had an ADAPT subscription, but used it very sparingly.
__________________
FSA
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-20-2016, 02:26 PM
ScarletGrey08 ScarletGrey08 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 589
Default

The ADAPT MC questions are largely sourced from a time when MLC was entirely MC. So they're much more difficult than the MC on the real exam (which are faster to solve so you can dedicate most of your time to the written answer questions). So I don't think ADAPT is worthless by any stretch, as I used it extensively (until had an EL of 7) to quickly review the material. But I would definitely make the released SOA exams your main study source in the weeks before the real thing.
__________________
P FM MFE C MLC VEE FAP 12345IA67 FA
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 PM
nepomucenoj1 nepomucenoj1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
College: Central College
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
Just MC. They give you 1 hour and 40 minutes to complete 20 MC questions. The problem with that is the ADAPT MC questions aren't really representative of what you'll see on the MC portion of the exam. Plus you should really finish the MC quite a bit faster than 1:40.

ADAPT also provides sample WA via PDF, I think. I ended up just using TIA to learn the material and practice MC. Then I used the SOA MC/WA samples, along with the released exams. This was more than enough. I had an ADAPT subscription, but used it very sparingly.
How did you like TIA for learning the material? How fast do you recommend someone with zero experience go through the TIA videos?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.29199 seconds with 10 queries