Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
But my run-of-the-mill watching on Dish Network looks pretty awful. I realize, a big part of that problem is the move from 55" to 65". So all flaws that were there before are literally magnified. Not only is there a difference in resolution vs the stuff I can see through streaming, but Dish apparently compresses the signal badly.
It could be more than just the excessive compression. Many 4K TVs, AV receivers and other 4K devices will use smooth scaling when upscaling from 720p or 1080p to 4K, which often gives a blurrier picture than simply doubling or tripling the pixels in each dimension.

The device might give you a choice of upscaling algorithm; "nearest neighbor" will do simple doubling or tripling when each dimension of the target resolution is double or triple the original resolution.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 PM
SOA

Things are getting better. A few things I've learned:

* Folks on avsforums are obsessed with getting the most accurate picture possible. Similar to how audiophiles want a flat frequency response curve. Well, I don't always want the most accurate. Similar to how I like added bass (and treble) for my music, I like a little more "punch" to the color vividness on my TV, and some added brightness. So I used recommendations from some non-videophiles online, and suddenly things look a good bit better ... to me. Now, I didn't go so far as to use the "Vivid" picture settings, which truly are overkill. I'd say I'm somewhere roughly halfway in between accurate and Vivid.

* Sony issued a firmware update to help with elevated black levels when running Dolby Vision through HDMI, such as from my Apple TV. When the firmware didn't make much of a difference, I poked around and realized that my Apple TV wasn't passing through Dolby Vision, because it said my HDMI cable was insufficient. Magically, they had a $30 cable I could buy at the Apple Store, and now my Dolby Vision movies look awesome from the Apple TV. Leave it to Apple to find a way to make you spend an extra $30 for something that probably cost them $2 or less.

* I'm not sure exactly what change in my picture settings did it, but my Dish programming doesn't look quite so crappy anymore. So I can live with it for the 22 remaining months.

Am I as blown away by this TV as I'd hoped? No. But I'm a lot closer.

I've ordered a "full motion articulating" wall mount. That should allow me to position the TV exactly where I want it. I also bought an accessory that will allow me to mount my sound bar directly below the TV (yes, connected to the wall mount). I'm strangely pumped about this possibility.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
SOA

I bought a 4K Blu Ray player not long ago. Image quality is pretty crazy good out of it. They just released a 4K HDR version of Gladiator on Tuesday. Watched it that night. My goodness, it's beautiful. They've addressed many of the issues with previous releases. Plus, my TV does an awesome job of avoiding problems with banding. So it's hard to know how much is the 4K HDR Blu Ray, and how much is the TV. But the combination is fantastic.

The HDR piece is probably a lot of it (which requires both the player and TV to have that capability). The Blu Ray includes Dolby Vision, but my player won't be able to decode that until a firmware update this summer. Still, it automatically played in HDR10, and the colors are rendered perfectly. They say Dolby Vision is even a little better.

Oh, and they improved the soundtrack. So now I want to add Atmos speakers to take advantage. They say it's unreal to hear the arrows pass over your head in the opening battle.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
I bought a 4K Blu Ray player not long ago. Image quality is pretty crazy good out of it. They just released a 4K HDR version of Gladiator on Tuesday. Watched it that night. My goodness, it's beautiful. They've addressed many of the issues with previous releases. Plus, my TV does an awesome job of avoiding problems with banding. So it's hard to know how much is the 4K HDR Blu Ray, and how much is the TV. But the combination is fantastic.

The HDR piece is probably a lot of it (which requires both the player and TV to have that capability). The Blu Ray includes Dolby Vision, but my player won't be able to decode that until a firmware update this summer. Still, it automatically played in HDR10, and the colors are rendered perfectly. They say Dolby Vision is even a little better.

Oh, and they improved the soundtrack. So now I want to add Atmos speakers to take advantage. They say it's unreal to hear the arrows pass over your head in the opening battle.
You make me want to get a bluray player (already have a 4k TV) but I'm not sure I'd ever use it.

Exams or whatever
Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
You make me want to get a bluray player (already have a 4k TV) but I'm not sure I'd ever use it.
You've got the Sony 900, right? So that has a Netflix app in it already for 4K streaming. 4K Blu Ray won't look much better than that. There are some videos on YouTube that show the difference. It's fairly slight.

Now, if you're excited about Dolby Atmos, and have a stereo that can do it justice, then the 4K Blu Ray player may be necessary. Hardly any of the streaming services offer it.

Your model does not support Dolby Vision. It does, however, support HDR10. If you got the 4k Blu Ray player, every Dolby Vision title will also have HDR10 on it, so you'd be covered there. Apple TV 4K, though, only offers one or the other for each title, so I'm glad I have a TV that supports both formats.

Apple TV does not support Atmos, though there's a rumor they're working on it.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:49 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
You've got the Sony 900, right? So that has a Netflix app in it already for 4K streaming. 4K Blu Ray won't look much better than that. There are some videos on YouTube that show the difference. It's fairly slight.

Now, if you're excited about Dolby Atmos, and have a stereo that can do it justice, then the 4K Blu Ray player may be necessary. Hardly any of the streaming services offer it.

Your model does not support Dolby Vision. It does, however, support HDR10. If you got the 4k Blu Ray player, every Dolby Vision title will also have HDR10 on it, so you'd be covered there. Apple TV 4K, though, only offers one or the other for each title, so I'm glad I have a TV that supports both formats.

A couple of clarifications. Most streaming services now support Dolby Atmos on newer titles including Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon. Apple is really the only holdout (which will be frustrating for me once my Atmos setup is complete, so I'm pulling for them announcing Atmos at WWDC next week).

On the Apple TV 4K front, every title that has Dolby Vision will also support HDR10, so the only downside to not having a Dolby Vision compatible TV is not getting the additional benefit that Dolby Vision brings, namely dynamic metadata that is scene specific. In early firmware versions, the Apple TV did a really poor job of converting the Dolby Vision versions to HDR10, but that has been improved.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Yeah I have an Apple TV 4k but not Netflix. I guess I could rent movies on itunes to watch instead of throw down $100 for a player and then $20+ a title to watch it once.

Exams or whatever
Old 05-30-2018, 02:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
A couple of clarifications. Most streaming services now support Dolby Atmos on newer titles including Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon. Apple is really the only holdout (which will be frustrating for me once my Atmos setup is complete, so I'm pulling for them announcing Atmos at WWDC next week).

On the Apple TV 4K front, every title that has Dolby Vision will also support HDR10, so the only downside to not having a Dolby Vision compatible TV is not getting the additional benefit that Dolby Vision brings, namely dynamic metadata that is scene specific. In early firmware versions, the Apple TV did a really poor job of converting the Dolby Vision versions to HDR10, but that has been improved.
I knew Vudu had Atmos, but I wasn't aware that the others had joined in. Cool!

Sounds like I also had a dated understanding of Apple TV's conversion of Dolby Vision titles to HDR10. Another win!

Wow, the world of high-end audio/video is changing quickly. There were so many fits and starts earlier, it's surprising to see how much is coming together finally.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Officially announced. Coming in the fall OS update.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
Officially announced. Coming in the fall OS update.
Nice!! Thanks for the update.