Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,833
Default

Another option, but way more expensive: an Orbi "mesh" system. Technically, Orbi isn't a real "mesh" system, but it still provides a strong signal and fast wifi all over my house. Costco had a deal for $400 not long ago, for a system with a router and two satellites.

Like I said, way more expensive. But it rocks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 AM
whisper's Avatar
whisper whisper is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Favorite beer: Hefewizen
Posts: 34,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Another option, but way more expensive: an Orbi "mesh" system. Technically, Orbi isn't a real "mesh" system, but it still provides a strong signal and fast wifi all over my house. Costco had a deal for $400 not long ago, for a system with a router and two satellites.

Like I said, way more expensive. But it rocks.
Mesh systems are better - they're other options other than Orbi.
They are essentially creating a system similar to how cell phone tower work.

It would replace the router as well as the extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM
G-Funk's Avatar
G-Funk G-Funk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Another option, but way more expensive: an Orbi "mesh" system. Technically, Orbi isn't a real "mesh" system, but it still provides a strong signal and fast wifi all over my house. Costco had a deal for $400 not long ago, for a system with a router and two satellites.

Like I said, way more expensive. But it rocks.
I struggled with extenders in the past, and I was told every time the signal goes through an extender, you lose half the speed. I got an Eero mesh system a year or so ago and it's awesome. Speeds in my office went from ~10 Mbps to ~80 (it's supposed to come into my place at 100). The only downside is they have really limited network controls.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
Turd Ferguson Turd Ferguson is offline
It's a funny name.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,998
Default

I have an Apple TimeCapsule as my wifi router, and an Airport Express as an extender. Works well for the most part, but lately the wifi signal has been dropping a couple times a week. I think it's because my TimeCapsule and actual router from my ISP don't play very nicely together.

Thanks for the thread. Reminded me that I owe my ISP a call.
__________________
Suck it, Trebek
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 AM
r. mutt's Avatar
r. mutt r. mutt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Extreme fever swamps of the left
Posts: 10,130
Default

After years of crappy router-extenders I learned about powerline extenders here on the AO, and so far they're working great....
__________________
(\ (\
( ^_^)
(_(")(") It all comes full akchigs eventually. ~ Full-On Devi
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
I struggled with extenders in the past, and I was told every time the signal goes through an extender, you lose half the speed. I got an Eero mesh system a year or so ago and it's awesome. Speeds in my office went from ~10 Mbps to ~80 (it's supposed to come into my place at 100). The only downside is they have really limited network controls.
I saw some reviews that said the Orbi was better, and others that said Eero was better. In the end, Orbi was on sale at my local Costco, so I got it since returns are incredibly easy there.

I'm pretty consistently getting about 300 Mbps anywhere in my house. (I recently upgraded to gigabit fiber.)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Mesh systems are better - they're other options other than Orbi.
They are essentially creating a system similar to how cell phone tower work.

It would replace the router as well as the extenders.
I'm curious how much better a true mesh system is. See my performance in the post above. But then, maybe my house isn't big enough to really benefit from the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Corn Row's Avatar
Corn Row Corn Row is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 915
Default

Get Google WiFi. It builds its own mesh network and works seamlessly. We have a large home and 3 units cover everything with no dead-spots.
__________________
Lord, beer me strength.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.17802 seconds with 9 queries